Selecting Lumber for Best Results

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
We all know to avoid lumber with large, loose knots, and twisted, warped, split, cupped or checked lumber... but how do you tell which boards will most likely do those bad things AFTER you buy them and use them? Here are some photos to show you what to look for and what to avoid. The pieces on the left are desirable and those on the right side of the photos are to be avoided. This is based on how wood behaves depending on ring shape, density and orientation. The last photo shows you what the pith looks like on the face rather than end of the board.
  • Jesica
    Jesica Seattle, WA
    This is so helpful, thanks for posting it!
  • Moch ichsan
    moch ichsan Indonesia
    sangat membantu untuk sebuah kontruksi...

thanks a lot.....

• Jon.murphy
    jon.murphy San Mateo, CA
    So What? you need to say why we would want a certain grain.. I suspose less rings will bed a lighter wood , maybe we want this??U don't seem to bright.. Jon
  • Nick
    Nick Australia
    I read an article recently which stated using the diagonal grain for the legs of a side table.
  • Jay Lallatin
    Can't read the red font.
    • Kevin Murray
      Kevin Murray Mountain City, TN
      You are absolutely right. I can tell that they have put something on the picture, but I can barely read a couple of words on it after I strain and squint wanting to see the information.
Brian Campbell, Basswood Artisan Carpentry

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post