Lighted gazing ball mounted in an old log / Instructions included!

gardens 03.13.15
This is a standard glass gazing ball that can be purchased at many home centers that we mounted on an old log and installed colored lights inside the glass ball. We drilled a hole up through the center of the log and fished an extension cord from the bottom to the top and into the glass ball after inserting colored LED lights. Then we mounted the log on a concrete base and secured it in place. I broke my original beloved gazing ball this morning trying to get pics so that is the reason for the change on the color of the glass ball.
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    I was remarking on the picture you posted here on Julee's thread. You added this picture and I commented on it.
  • Sharon B
    Sharon B Green Bay, WI
    Marg C duhhhh to me, sorry......I just saw one made with coffee filters I sent her, neat.......
  • Jayme
    Jayme Bellaire, MI
    Love your shade garden Julee. I have one that is part of my Secret Garden and am always looking for ideas. Love the globe idea....I might have to add somethinglike that to my shade garden.
  • Anne D
    Anne D Canada
    great idea
  • Tom Rupnicki
    Tom Rupnicki Media, PA
    For a more permanent hand blown glass lighting fixture Nightorbs are 1/4" thickness and very durable because the glass is tempered. The highly efficient Xylogen lamps are good for 20,000 hours and LEDS are available with a 50,000 hour lifespan.
  • Angie W
    Angie W Columbus, OH
    @ Tom, Did you notice the price of the nightorbs??
  • Sylvia Vrattos
    Sylvia Vrattos Snellville, GA
    WOW TOM- really??? 8-inch Sphere shape • $400 (for custom colors add 10% —minimum 3 orbs.)

.

• Patricia Dalton
    Patricia Dalton Ephrata, PA
    Absolutely love this idea and your shade garden!
  • Andi Cacciatore
    Andi Cacciatore Fort Lauderdale, FL
    So beautiful and your tutorial is so thorough! Thank you :)
  • Andi Cacciatore
    Andi Cacciatore Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I live in South Florida and can't get over the golden leaves everywhere in your garden! Someday I will have to go north in the Fall to see it in person!
    • Julee S
      Julee S Bangor, MI
      Andi Cacciatore It's soooooooooooo beautiful in the fall here in southwest Michigan! We have 50 acres that is mostly wooded so we get quite the show every year! I'd highly recommend seeing the northern fall colors at least once in your lifetime! :)
  • Libby Yuewhoo
    What a great idea. The lights give the Fairy Ball a special dimension, being able to see it at night. Love your garden and the way it continues into the forest.
  • Linda
    Linda Elmer, NJ
    Your garden is magical and a little mysteries. Just the way the fairies like it.

I found a extra large thick glass clear globe at a flea market and was wondering how to use it. Do you think using a clear

• Linda
    Linda Elmer, NJ
    I'm sorry you broke your favorite globe. Last spring I saw that type of globe at the Big Lot stores.
  • Deanna
    Deanna Fulton, NY
    Going to try to make this,this spring if it ever gets here :),thanks so much for this idea it is beautiful :)
  • Karne Queen
    Karne Queen Montgomery, AL
    Spectacular!
Julee S