How to Clean Soap Scum Off Shower Doors | Hometalk
302K views

How to Clean Soap Scum Off Shower Doors

Cleaning 2 days ago
302K views
Who else thinks soap scum is the enemy of all homeowners?
This past weekend I decided to put my cleaning plan into action and eliminate the haze on my shower doors that's from soap & hard water. I used the safe combination of baking soda and white vinegar to remove the soap scum. Then I applied Rain-X to the shower door glass to prevent this from happening again, or at the very least stop me from having to clean the doors as frequently.
I wanted to share this process because it worked better than I thought it would. You can view the blog post I put together at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-shower-doors.
If you don't do anything else you should view the video. Not only does it walk you through everything I did it shows you one crucial action I forgot to take-comb my hair before filming! But I don't mind embarrassing myself for the Hometalk community.
Time: 30 Minutes Difficulty: Easy
  • how to clean soap scum off shower doors, cleaning tips, doors

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-shower-doors

3 Questions on This Post

171 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 6  of  171 | See Previous
  • Paul Moore-Northrop

The first time I showered in a friend's guest bath with a squeegee to use I thought, "Uhm!" I get it. And U did clean up after myself ....and next time I stayed in a hotel.

• Judysart

After cleaning your shower glass door, use LEMON OIL on it and it is less expensive overall, and does about the same as Rain X also can use lemon oil on Tile.

• Michelle Drozdibob

Here is a simple enough solution: as soon as you finish drying off after you shower, dry the walls of the shower with the used bath towel. It is the water that stays on the doors, rim and walls of the shower that causes the mess. My home is 16 years

• Lyndi F
      Lyndi F Reidsville, NC

Yep, this is what I do, too. I just use a different towel (one I don't use for bathing). My shower is 12 yrs old, and like yours, looks brand new.

• Michelle Drozdibob

I use the one I have just toweled off with, as it is still able to absorb water. I only use a towel once for after shower, weird that way...

• Michelle Drozdibob

I can't convince anyone that this is the easiest method to keep a shower clean. It's like a personal crusade but no takers.

­