Hometalk.com

Cleaning 04.06.14

How to Clean Soap Scum Off Shower Doors

Who else thinks soap scum is the enemy of all homeowners?

This past weekend I decided to put my cleaning plan into action and eliminate the haze on my shower doors that's from soap & hard water. I used the safe combination of baking soda and white vinegar to remove the soap scum. Then I applied Rain-X to the shower door glass to prevent this from happening again, or at the very least stop me from having to clean the doors as frequently.

I wanted to share this process because it worked better than I thought it would. You can view the blog post I put together at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-shower-....

If you don't do anything else you should view the video. Not only does it walk you through everything I did it shows you one crucial action I forgot to take-comb my hair before filming! But I don't mind embarrassing myself for the Hometalk community.

#Bestof2012

Time: 30 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-shower-doors

112 Comments Displaying 15 of 112 comments | See Previous
  • I also did mine with the baking soda and vinegar but I cleaned them with a Super Magic Eraser. Worked great. Now I am going to get some Rain X. Thank you for the tip. =)
  • Plain old baby oil works great. Put it on and use some bluffing and shinny like new and repels water.
  • MaryAnne Mathes Ocala, FL
    Make a paste of borax and water, scrub off old scum with that and a majick eraser. Sparkly. Then after every shower squeegee. Since we've been squeegeeiing (!) I've had to scrub the shower doors ZERO times...in 8 months. I still clean the tile walls
  • WD-40 works too
  • Katie Lees Philadelphia, PA
    I heard that w-D40 also does well for windows and many others jobs around the house...I have not tried it, but I intend to soon....I've heard that it works like rain x keeps fog after showering from the mirrors and also keeps frost from forming on home
  • Kitty Belcher Tucson, AZ
    There is also a glass wax you can buy at janitorial supply store that last a long time and is not awful to you or the tile.there is a dollar store product called scrub free that is amazing on soap scum ,spray it on ,rinse if after a few minutes, wipe dry.
  • Dale Cincinnati, OH
    One product that works really well is The Bucko... www.thebucko.com. It's based off an old Top Job formula.
  • Michael Scherer Huntington Station, NY
    Hey Dale will the Bucko work on outdoor windows that appear to have hard water calcium on them?
  • V Valencia Downey, CA
    When my glass shower doors were installed they applied some sort of product to help keep the hard water stains from building up. (As you may gather, it didn't work all that well because I am interested in this post.) The installer told me that I needed
  • Dale Cincinnati, OH
    Michael Scherer, not sure... If it's some type of scum it might work. Let me know if you try it out!
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    V Valencia you can get it off but if it has really been damaged to the point of etching you can remove the hard water build up. But once it's etched you need to keep the hard water off or it will build up again. You can also after each shower besides
    • V Valencia Downey, CA
      Sherrie Thank you. This is in my daughter's bathroom, so getting her to do this is a whole other post! :)
  • Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay, our old shower enclosures (one tile, one fiberglass) are my home-front nemesis. I've tried some of the things in the comments thread in the past, but now I'll try the Rain-X and other ideas. Thanks for this! As for the shower doors, I removed ours
  • Betsy Bradenton, FL
    Still amazed by the Mr. Clean Magic sponge - so easy. Those wiht shower curtains, cut off the bottom hem so the water has no where to hide - has to drip off and prevents mildew from forming
  • Max Virginia Beach, VA
    Tonight I finally found that just use Bounce fabric the one you use in the dryer, cleans the scum soap off my glass shower doors. It was easy and in expensive!