How to Clean Soap Scum Off Shower Doors

Cleaning tips 13 hours ago

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Who else thinks soap scum is the enemy of all homeowners?

This past weekend I decided to put my cleaning plan into action and eliminate the haze on my shower doors that's from soap & hard water. I used the safe combination of baking soda and white vinegar to remove the soap scum. Then I applied Rain-X to the shower door glass to prevent this from happening again, or at the very least stop me from having to clean the doors as frequently.

I wanted to share this process because it worked better than I thought it would. You can view the blog post I put together at

If you don't do anything else you should view the video. Not only does it walk you through everything I did it shows you one crucial action I forgot to take-comb my hair before filming! But I don't mind embarrassing myself for the Hometalk community.

Time: 30 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more:

• Barbara Valenti
    Barbara Valenti Ponchatoula, LA
    This did not help my shower doors! I am going to hang a beautiful shower drape over my shower doors just so I don't have to look at that mess! Maybe one day in my life time someone will come up with a miracle to clean shower doors easy! I washed my
  • Bobbie joh
    bobbie joh Meadow Vista, CA
    our shower had hard water stains along with the soap scum. i tried a lot of things - including vinegar. finally cleaned with bon ami and a touch of water as a paste, let that dry, wiped off with lightly dampened towel, until cleaned the paste off
    • Bobbie joh
      bobbie joh Meadow Vista, CA
      I get it at our natural food store, but you can sometimes find it at a good hardware store, or online
  • Michelle Francy Foley
    use soft scrub with lemon.found in most food stores. then the rain-x do not use a abrasive cleaner it will scar the glass..
  • Liz
    Liz Franklin, TN
    I scrap the scum off with a razor used to remove paint from glass.
  • Terrie Neudorf
    I do this but 50/50 vinegar and blue dawn. It's the best .aslo works for the rest of the shower and tiles too.
Home Repair Tutor

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post