How to Clean Soap Scum Off Shower Doors

Who else thinks soap scum is the enemy of all homeowners?

This past weekend I decided to put my cleaning plan into action and eliminate the haze on my shower doors that's from soap & hard water. I used the safe combination of baking soda and white vinegar to remove the soap scum. Then I applied Rain-X to the shower door glass to prevent this from happening again, or at the very least stop me from having to clean the doors as frequently.

I wanted to share this process because it worked better than I thought it would. You can view the blog post I put together at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-shower-....

If you don't do anything else you should view the video. Not only does it walk you through everything I did it shows you one crucial action I forgot to take-comb my hair before filming! But I don't mind embarrassing myself for the Hometalk community.

#Bestof2012

Time: 30 Minutes Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-shower-doors

• Katie Lees
    Katie Lees Philadelphia, PA
    I heard that w-D40 also does well for windows and many others jobs around the house...I have not tried it, but I intend to soon....I've heard that it works like rain x keeps fog after showering from the mirrors and also keeps frost from forming on home
  • Kitty Belcher
    Kitty Belcher Tucson, AZ
    There is also a glass wax you can buy at janitorial supply store that last a long time and is not awful to you or the tile.there is a dollar store product called scrub free that is amazing on soap scum ,spray it on ,rinse if after a few minutes, wipe dry.
  • Dale
    Dale Cincinnati, OH
    One product that works really well is The Bucko... www.thebucko.com. It's based off an old Top Job formula.
  • Michael Scherer
    Michael Scherer Huntington Station, NY
    Hey Dale will the Bucko work on outdoor windows that appear to have hard water calcium on them?
  • V Valencia
    V Valencia Downey, CA
    When my glass shower doors were installed they applied some sort of product to help keep the hard water stains from building up. (As you may gather, it didn't work all that well because I am interested in this post.) The installer told me that I needed
  • Dale
    Dale Cincinnati, OH
    Michael Scherer, not sure... If it's some type of scum it might work. Let me know if you try it out!
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    V Valencia you can get it off but if it has really been damaged to the point of etching you can remove the hard water build up. But once it's etched you need to keep the hard water off or it will build up again. You can also after each shower besides
    • V Valencia
      V Valencia Downey, CA
      Sherrie Thank you. This is in my daughter's bathroom, so getting her to do this is a whole other post! :)
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
      Had ine just like her! She is now grown and her house is cleaner than mine. There is hope!
  • Nora
    Nora Virginia Beach, VA
    Okay, our old shower enclosures (one tile, one fiberglass) are my home-front nemesis. I've tried some of the things in the comments thread in the past, but now I'll try the Rain-X and other ideas. Thanks for this! As for the shower doors, I removed ours
    Betsy Bradenton, FL
    Still amazed by the Mr. Clean Magic sponge - so easy. Those wiht shower curtains, cut off the bottom hem so the water has no where to hide - has to drip off and prevents mildew from forming
  • Max
    Max Virginia Beach, VA
    Tonight I finally found that just use Bounce fabric the one you use in the dryer, cleans the scum soap off my glass shower doors. It was easy and in expensive!
  • Jemcm
    I used the Rain-X spray and it caused bad water spots on the doors. It is so hard to get off. I wonder if the can foam is different and if it works better.
  • Phyllis Dufresne
    I used s.o.s. Cleaning pads.
  • Barbara Valenti
    Barbara Valenti Ponchatoula, LA
    I tried that stuff you put on headlights to clean them worked at first got tired of fooling with it then I decided to use Crisco. Yes it made them look better for awhile. Anything to make them look cleaner. I am sure any oil would help for awhile. Who
  • Barrett etc
    barrett etc Grafton, WI
    BB+B sell little shower squeegees, that hang up. the rule in this house: take a shower, squeegee before you get out! after ONCE removing all that soapy scum, I have not had to do it again!
  • Gary Crainshaw
    Gary Crainshaw Kansas City, MO
    Owning a window cleaning business we come across this all all the time! We created a product that our customers could use in between their window cleaning visits. Hard Water Remover sold @ www.getstuffoff.com
Home Repair Tutor