Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

I hate my ugly spindles under my cabinets. Do you have any ideas?

08.15.14
Update: The cabinets are down. We originally planned on doing it this weekend but we couldn't wait. The spindles were decorative. We took out all the screws and the cabinets wouldn't budge. They were attached to plywood that was bolted to a metal plate attached to a very large lag bolt (2ft.) that was bolted in the attic. There were 2 of these. Now I just need to figure out what kind of lights to use. I was thinking of pendant lighting or can lights. Maybe even a track light that is simiilar to the one I have over the sink but only bigger. What do you think?

We just moved into this house a couple of months ago and are doing some minor remodeling. I hate these spindles under my cabinet. I would love to remove the upper cabinets but I need the space for storage and I need something to support my cabinets. I would love any suggestions or pictures if you had the same issue and came up with a great solution. Eventually I would like to remodel the kitchen but that is much further down the road.

28 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 28 comments | See Previous
  • Jenny@birdsandsoap
    bust 'em out with a hammer. Those spindles aren't serving any purpose, the cabinets are mounted to the ceiling joists.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Designs by BSB, helping you love where you live!
    Jenny@birdsandsoap careful about offering such a suggestion. I have seen some very pathetic installations .. gone bad. There is no way to know for sure if they secured into the studs above.
  • Mary Lloyd
    Mary Lloyd Sears, MI
    Get a piece of glass cut to fit the space that the spindles are in now to replace them and still allow the light through. Frame the glass heavy enough to be a support for the cabinets if need be, but I doubt the spindles are there as a support. The othet
  • Dawn @ Creative Cain Cabin
    Can the cabinets and the spindles be removed? It would open up the space and you wouldn't have to stoop down to look into the adjoining room. Looks like you have enough space to turn those cabinets (that you take down) into an island instead, and you
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Although it is a great idea to remove the spindles, and also the cabinets as what you have is now considered old school and the open look is in. I doubt as a few others said that you can remove them. The built down soffit over the top is not that strong
  • Donna S
    Donna S Ballwin, MO
    Are they needed to help hold the cabinets up. If not remove them.
  • Jan P
    Jan P Windsor, CT
    I think they are decorative - I would take down the whole thing - will open up the whole kitchen!!
  • Michelle Powers
    Michelle Powers Albertville, MN
    Hey Dawn! Funny seeing you here... I have no good information for you... just wanted to say hi!
  • Dawn
    Dawn Clarion, IA
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. After some reorganzing of my kitchen I have decided to take down the upper cabinets from the peninsula. Since we had just moved I had not organized the kitchen very well. I was able to get rid of some things. Also by
    I think that is the best idea. However before you tear them down, check the Soffit area above to be sure there is nothing hidden there that may require some removal to make the ceiling flat.
  • Gail Salminen
    Dawn - sounds like a wise choice. You may be able to use the cabinets in either the basement or garage, or if you don't already have some in your laundry room, maybe there. Looking forward to the pics!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    If you keep the soffit it might make a great location to install some can lights...or for a more modern look some hanging pendants.
  • Dawn
    Dawn Clarion, IA
    I am keeping the soffit as of right now. We do not have the time or money to take it out. We have other projects that have a higher priority. I am planning on putting pendant lights in. I already have electrical that was under the cabinet so we will be
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    post some after pics when you get it completed...I am like many of the other hometalkers here.... and we all love before and after shots.
  • Phyllis
    Phyllis Pittsburgh, PA
    taking them down was my answer; hang a cple of pendant lights above(3)
Dawn