I hate my ugly spindles under my cabinets. Do you have any ideas?

05.27.15
Update: The cabinets are down. We originally planned on doing it this weekend but we couldn't wait. The spindles were decorative. We took out all the screws and the cabinets wouldn't budge. They were attached to plywood that was bolted to a metal plate attached to a very large lag bolt (2ft.) that was bolted in the attic. There were 2 of these. Now I just need to figure out what kind of lights to use. I was thinking of pendant lighting or can lights. Maybe even a track light that is simiilar to the one I have over the sink but only bigger. What do you think?

We just moved into this house a couple of months ago and are doing some minor remodeling. I hate these spindles under my cabinet. I would love to remove the upper cabinets but I need the space for storage and I need something to support my cabinets. I would love any suggestions or pictures if you had the same issue and came up with a great solution. Eventually I would like to remodel the kitchen but that is much further down the road.

• Jan P
    Jan P Windsor, CT
    I think they are decorative - I would take down the whole thing - will open up the whole kitchen!!
  • Donna S
    Donna S Ballwin, MO
    Are they needed to help hold the cabinets up. If not remove them.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Although it is a great idea to remove the spindles, and also the cabinets as what you have is now considered old school and the open look is in. I doubt as a few others said that you can remove them. The built down soffit over the top is not that strong
  • Dawn @ Creative Cain Cabin
    Can the cabinets and the spindles be removed? It would open up the space and you wouldn't have to stoop down to look into the adjoining room. Looks like you have enough space to turn those cabinets (that you take down) into an island instead, and you
  • Mary Lloyd
    Mary Lloyd Sears, MI
    Get a piece of glass cut to fit the space that the spindles are in now to replace them and still allow the light through. Frame the glass heavy enough to be a support for the cabinets if need be, but I doubt the spindles are there as a support. The othet
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    Jenny@birdsandsoap careful about offering such a suggestion. I have seen some very pathetic installations .. gone bad. There is no way to know for sure if they secured into the
  • Jenny@birdsandsoap
    bust 'em out with a hammer. Those spindles aren't serving any purpose, the cabinets are mounted to the ceiling joists.
  • Tracie
    Tracie Acworth, GA
    I'd take down those cabinets, personally. Anyway, I seriously doubt those spindles are anything but decorative.
  • Cre8tive Designs
    I would look up inside your cabinets to see if they are screwed into the soffit. If they are, then those spindles are just decorative. If not, then you could add support to them from the inside and eliminate the spindles. Adding an island is a grand idea.
  • Bobbye Wendt
    Bobbye Wendt Elk Point, SD
    then I would make candle holders out of the spindles :)
  • Frances S
    Frances S South Rockwood, MI
    Take the whole cupboard down.
  • Helena @ Design Wotcha!
    Helena @ Design Wotcha! Laguna Beach, CA
    not sure of the dimensions from these picks but could you take down the upper cabinets, put them back to back at the end of the current counter (to keep same storage) and then add a butcher block top to meet the current counter height. this area could be
  • Designs by BSB
    Designs by BSB Lawrenceville, GA
    Agree with island for storage -- looks like you could have a 2' x 3' island, allowing 42" for walk ways
  • Gail Salminen
    Perhaps consider a built in wine rack. Would add interest and be functional, but then you would need to like wine :) It would also be open at both ends.
  • Carroll A
    Carroll A Coos Bay, OR
    Have you had someone look at it? Are you sure the spindles are there for support? If they are I would see if it can be re-enforced from above and remove the spindles. Then open both sides of the cabinet and replace with glass doors, then you would not
Dawn