Socks for Sandy: Helping Sandy's Victims

12.07.12
Our neighborhood survived Hurricane Sandy. But that's not what this post is about.Instead, I'd like to focus on those people who survived with only the clothes on their backs. Literally.

Just down the road from our little neighborhood of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey, the need is great. Many homes are gone, flooded, wiped out, total losses.

One of my sis-in-laws went to volunteer at the local Hurricane Shelter set up at the middle school. She spread the word about what items people needed, including socks. I went over there that same night with clothes and socks to donate.

I couldn't get the socks thing out of my head. People needed socks. People were walking around barefoot. But it was more than that, this sort-of obsession about socks. Putting socks on cold feet signifies warmth and comfort - a small bit of goodness during what will be a long and difficult road. It bothered me all night. And thus, Socks for Sandy was born.

You can help us gather up some warmth to share by collecting socks, gloves and winter hats - for men, women and children of all ages

To see more: http://petscribbles.blogspot.com/2012/11/socks-for-sandy-helping-sandys-victims.html

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!
  • Charmaine Lagabed
    Charmaine Lagabed Ocean Springs, MS
    Well thanks for the reply....As i thought if we could throw in other items that they could use then it would also help them a great deal.....but I will make sure to stress SOCKS, GLOVES, WINTER COATS, HATS...etc. but I thought of clothes for their
  • Glenda C
    Glenda C Katy, TX
    Laura-I have some ski gloves/scarves/socks - we would love to see folks get some use from them!
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    Laura, Pet Scribbles Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    And I should note that I am in Little Egg Harbor, NJ, not Mystic Island even though that's what my location here on Hometalk says. The Hometalk support team is trying to fix the glitch as that's what comes up with my zip code of 08087. (Mystic Island is
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    This is a picture of my next door neighbor's father's home, or what's left of it, from Sandy. This home is in West Creek, NJ, 10 minutes up Route 9 from here. These next door neighbors also have the husband's parents staying with them, as their home was
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    Good morning everyone - can't sleep and the time change doesn't help. :) Some additional answers for you:

Charmaine - although we're focusing on warm socks, gloves and winter hats for men, women, and children of all age ranges, if

• William Heistand
    William Heistand Cambria, CA
    I have just emailed this post to the public relation offices of Carhartt (love their socks), Lands End, L.L. Bean, Woolrich and R.E.I. Perhaps if we will do the same with these businesses and others, corporate donations will go a long way.
  • Rhonda Chambless Phillips
    I have oodles I will send some out on Monday what a angel you are for doing this kind act.
  • Carol Fiorella
    Carol Fiorella Belton, MO
    Would love to help.What do you have the most need for.Please let me know
  • Brenda Elmore
    Brenda Elmore Neenah, WI
    I'll go hit up all the people we used to sell Girl Scout Cookies to and then send things off to you. Much rather do things directly so people get help sooner from someone in the thick of it. Thank you
  • Hiline Builders Inc.
    Hiline Builders Inc. Fair Oaks, CA
    Thank You for your efforts Laura. I passed this on to as many SM sources as I was able. Helping our east coast friends is a no brainer. I'll be shipping some socks out tomorrow.
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    Will be sending Monday morning.
  • Charmaine Lagabed
    Charmaine Lagabed Ocean Springs, MS
    I am wanting to know can we send some clothes also? As I am a GIRL SCOUT TROOP LEADER and I am sure my Service unit could help with any clothes for girls and even some ladies clothes. If you could let me know before we have our meeting again before
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    I'll be logging off for the night, but will be back on here tomorrow to answer any questions you may have. Thank you again, all of you!
  • Cynthia Harper
    Cynthia Harper West Liberty, KY
    Ok Thank You!!!!
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    Hi Cynthia - the address is listed above if you click the little "arrows" to read the full post. Here it is as well: Socks for Sandy, P.O. Box 520, Little Egg Harbor, NJ 08087 I'll be the one personally working with our little post office as the packages
Laura, Pet Scribbles