Socks for Sandy: Helping Sandy's Victims

Our neighborhood survived Hurricane Sandy. But that's not what this post is about.Instead, I'd like to focus on those people who survived with only the clothes on their backs. Literally.

Just down the road from our little neighborhood of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey, the need is great. Many homes are gone, flooded, wiped out, total losses.

One of my sis-in-laws went to volunteer at the local Hurricane Shelter set up at the middle school. She spread the word about what items people needed, including socks. I went over there that same night with clothes and socks to donate.

I couldn't get the socks thing out of my head. People needed socks. People were walking around barefoot. But it was more than that, this sort-of obsession about socks. Putting socks on cold feet signifies warmth and comfort - a small bit of goodness during what will be a long and difficult road. It bothered me all night. And thus, Socks for Sandy was born.

You can help us gather up some warmth to share by collecting socks, gloves and winter hats - for men, women and children of all ages

• In Tuckerton Beach, officials said seven homes were thrown from their foundations or pilings and simply disappeared. (photo from Asbury Park Press)
  • Mystic Island and Tuckerton Beach were wiped out. These are just two of the many New Jersey coastal communities devastated by Sandy. The X is near where I live, just a few minutes away.

To see more:

• Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Cynthia Harper if you look for the double blue arrows in the original post you'll see the rest of what Laura wrote along with her address.
  • Trish & Bonnie {Uncommon Designs}
    Thank you so much Laura The Shed, a blog by Pet Scribbles for coordinating this! So many needs and this will help out so many!
  • Cynthia Harper
    Cynthia Harper West Liberty, KY
    My name is Cynthia Harper and I would love to send socks and other items, can you give me an adrees to ship to, our town was hit by an F3 tornado and wiped it out on March 2 2012, and I can relate this is so devestating, and you feel lost and I still
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    Laura, Pet Scribbles Little Egg Harbor, NJ
    Thank you all so much! To answer a few questions:

Socks can be new or "gently used" I believe is the term? :) I donated two entire drawers of socks the very first night they

• Audra McIntyre
    Audra McIntyre Athens, AL
    Thank you so much for going out of your way to help people who lost everything- so sweet of you! It's touching to know that people do still care about people! I shared on my blog, personal Facebook, & business page =) Thank you again, please let me know
  • Judy norris
    Judy norris Moody, AL
    I would like to get our Sunday school class involved and the church but they probably couldn't bring them in until next Sunday. No one can take them then? Getting the churches involved would really be big !!
  • Michelle Renee
    Michelle Renee Marion, OH
    this is a great ideal laura, i will do what i can as well..we should also see what we can try to do about manhatten,..everyone is calling them the forgotten island..i haven't got a clue how to get anything to them..
  • Karen Blanchard Howell
    Does this need to be brand new socks or can it be slighty used/used clean socks?
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    Thank you Kate, thank you so much!
  • Kate Lindsey
    omg, I have 2 drawers full of socks that I dont even wear anymore, some still have tags on them! I will send them out to you Monday Morning. Glad to see it going directly to those in need!! Thanks Laura!!
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Ellen H When you talk to Marg next time can you ask about the need in her area? For both People and pets?
  • Laura, Pet Scribbles
    In our area, every shelter that was opened up in advance of the storm (for evacuations) accepted pets, which was fantastic! The shelters are receiving tons of pet food, litter, and supplies for the pets that are being taken care of. If I hear anything at
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Thank you Becky Sherrie S it benefits families in Laura's area who are currently living in shelters and
  • Therese C
    Therese C Greenfield, IA
    I am not trying to be cruel towards anyone, but getting people to help other people at a time like this is not too hard..but getting people to help animals is another story all together! I will gladly donate socks, mittens, gloves, hats...whatever to
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Miriam I I need to know a little more about how to do this & who benefits. I'm also like Sharron W wanting to know how to help the pets that help us in time of stress.
Laura, Pet Scribbles

Search Feedback