How to create a Mason Jar Patio Chandelier

Outdoor decor 06.20.15
I always lusted after the hanging ladders in Pottery Barn displays. Since I don't like to spend Pottery Barn prices on things I can make myself, I decided to wait it out and find a ladder that I could work with for my patio. When I found an old ladder at an antiques vendor booth, I knew it had to be mine. I brought it home finagled my husband into hanging it for me using lengths of chain and "C" clamps attached to our patio roof. Then I used simple hooks screwed into the wood of the ladder to hang the mason jars. I added some sand and tealights, and a Moravian star as a centerpiece.

Altogether between the ladder, the mason jars and the star lantern I think I might have formed a trifecta of perfection. :)

When I'm not entertaining I take the mason jars down from the ladder and sit them on the table in case a strong wind blows through. Don't want glass on my patio!

The ladder "chandelier" is one of my most favorite projects ever, especially since it is what drew me into the Hometalk community over a year ago. I happened upon a post here while randomly searching the internet. I shared my idea with you guys in someone else's thread and

• Hanging ladder with mason jars
  • Mason Jars on a ladder
  • Patio Ladder chandelier
  • Ribbon, sand and tealights on a mason jar. Perfect.
  • "C" clamps hold the chains to my patio I-beam.
  • Hooks hold the mason jars.
  • The Pottery Barn Inspiration photo that started it all....

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2011/04/pottery-barn-inspired-ladder-lantern/

• Hilliriah Jacobs
    i just love the home talk family. i have a ladder from a bunk bed over 23yrs old i have since given the beds away and kept it dont want to get the rid of it because it is in pristine condition, so a chandelier it is gonna be in my patio right over that
  • Bethar
    Bethar Dade City, FL
    Love it. Going to start looking for an old ladder. Thanks
  • Pamcgc
    I've have an old ladder from a bunk bed which I was planning to throw out. This project gives me an idea. Thanks
  • Jane
    Jane Boise, ID
    Very well done! I like your rendition of this idea better than the Pottery Barn's!
  • Billielatham
    I love love this idea. It's beautiful
Beth at Unskinny Boppy