Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How to create a Mason Jar Patio Chandelier

ideas 9 hours ago
I always lusted after the hanging ladders in Pottery Barn displays. Since I don't like to spend Pottery Barn prices on things I can make myself, I decided to wait it out and find a ladder that I could work with for my patio. When I found an old ladder at an antiques vendor booth, I knew it had to be mine. I brought it home finagled my husband into hanging it for me using lengths of chain and "C" clamps attached to our patio roof. Then I used simple hooks screwed into the wood of the ladder to hang the mason jars. I added some sand and tealights, and a Moravian star as a centerpiece.

Altogether between the ladder, the mason jars and the star lantern I think I might have formed a trifecta of perfection. :)

When I'm not entertaining I take the mason jars down from the ladder and sit them on the table in case a strong wind blows through. Don't want glass on my patio!

The ladder "chandelier" is one of my most favorite projects ever, especially since it is what drew me into the Hometalk community over a year ago. I happened upon a post here while randomly searching the internet. I shared my idea with you guys in someone else's thread and

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2011/04/pottery-barn-inspired-ladder-lantern/

84 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 16 of 84 comments | See Previous
  • Leah Johnson
    I am in the same boat as Elaine C= no roof over my deck and not a house roof line to put one but the idea of the hanging lights is awesome... but will figure something or way else to use this concept... there has got to be a way....watch out my friends-
    • Terri Brodfuehrer
      Leah Johnson I've seen tutorials with them hanging on fence posts or on posts along a path.. same concept, but different area.. they look so darn cute, too!
  • Nance Anderson
    Nance Anderson Cottage Grove, MN
    This is a very unique idea - I really love it. Think of the possibilities!!
  • Deb Stevenson
    Deb Stevenson Tucson, AZ
    I have been looking for the hangers also for the canning jars and other types, those shown look so sturdy. Lovely idea with the ladder and hanging them above the table.
  • Julia Douglas
    This is by far the cutest thing I have seen yet. VERY creative!!!
  • Dee
    Dee Linden, TN
    Love it!
  • Torre McGregor Frasier
    Torre McGregor Frasier Port Huron, MI
    super awesome!! I love it! I've been looking for a ladder like that for something different, but what you did is so creative!!
  • Beverly
    Beverly Uriah, AL
    I love, love , love that idea, and I Will most certainly make this one and the one with the old salt shakers, I,m amazed at he ideas I get on here and now its time to go have fun doing this. Thanks everyone for many ideas
  • Pat Dareneau
    Pat Dareneau Holly Ridge, NC
    could use the battery operated tea lights too
  • Jeanine Hurtt
    Jeanine Hurtt Tompkinsville, KY
    I want one in my kitchen but i am thinking one for my iron skillets, pots yours looks great . My neighbor has one leaning on his garage hope i can get it
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I love this idea. Now to find an old wooden ladder.
  • Wanda Morat
    Wanda Morat Gambrills, MD
    What a great place for it--right outside the window and above the table--so nice!
  • Shannon M Sanders
    Shannon M Sanders Waldron, MI
    Love this idea unique and antique
  • Carol
    Carol Canada
    Love this idea.I have seen this done with old windows as well.Good job
  • Hilliriah Jacobs
    i just love the home talk family. i have a ladder from a bunk bed over 23yrs old i have since given the beds away and kept it dont want to get the rid of it because it is in pristine condition, so a chandelier it is gonna be in my patio right over that
  • Bethar
    Bethar Dade City, FL
    Love it. Going to start looking for an old ladder. Thanks
Beth at Unskinny Boppy

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing