Cleaning Shower Tile & Grout:What Works and What Doesn't

cleaning 6 days ago
How on earth do you get your shower grout and ceramic tile looking new again?

Last weekend I compared three different products: OxiClean, Eco Orange Cleaner, and Chlorox. OxiClean is oxygenated bleach and is a great alternative to chlorinated bleach because it doesn't give off odors and discolor clothing or carpets. Eco Orange is expensive ($80 per gallon), and it would help to know if it works on tough tile & grout stains before you purchase it. Chlorox is highly recommended for cleaning showers but does it always work?

OxiClean is found in most grocery stores in the laundry detergent aisle. The directions are somewhat vague for tile cleaning. This is why I decided to use different amounts and tinkered around with how much to add to one gallon of water. You can view the blog post I put together at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-ceramic....

Overall I thought OxiClean did a fantastic job removing dirt & grime from the tiles and some of the grout. I tried both Eco Orange and

Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-ceramic-tile-and-grout

• Linda Jowers
    We have white tile in the shower & on the floor - and my husband works with all kinds of 'mechanic's oil' in his machine shop. I've been using Tilex & Scrubbing Bubbles on the shower/tub area. But, the best thing I have found to clean the dirty [not
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Nancy geise I wouldn't use many of these suggestions to clean floors. This is good for showers and tubs with tile. The grout is different then the grout on the floor. It is epoxy grout. Floor grout is sanded grout. Actually Rebbecca C. Had the best
  • Patti Nicholas
    Patti Nicholas Gulfport, MS
    Definately check all your home cleaning products out at ewg.org before buying more. this page shows what's in Tilex and the side effects it has on your health. It also provides information on safer alternatives. Why put our families and ourselves in
  • Grout Shield Distributors
    I know it seems as if im promoting my product but the easiest way to keep your tile grout clean is with a grout color sealer

www.groutshields.com

• Jessica @ Dear Emmeline
    We're listing our house and have tried a whole host of products on our master standup shower (white tile/white grout). The only thing that really helped get the grout back to an almost white color was Magic Grout. It's a spray bottle cleaner I found at
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
      You can rent a Commercial steamer sometimes they are called vaporlux. You point the hose directly the grout or tile and it melts dirt off. We go to a tool rental company to rent these, they rent for about $45.00 a day and it cleans your tile and
  • Jeff McAllister
    Jeff McAllister Memphis, TN
    Have you tried the tile grout pen in this review? http://www.bestgroutcleaners.com
  • Marcy
    Marcy Rogers City, MI
    Does anyone know how to remove mold that has formed on grout sealing tape. I have some mold that formed between the seal around the tub where a shower wall overlay meets.
    • Sherrie
      Sherrie Nixa, MO
      Depends if it is in the sealer. Some of it you can scrub up and use bleach to bleach it out. Sometimes you need to cut out the chalk and re seal it. If your grout isn't colored I would try the bleach. If it is colored don't use it. This will bleach
    • Marcy
      Marcy Rogers City, MI
      Sherrie, thank you, I was thinking about bleaching it. I am going to try it first, then the grouting.
  • Mary Thorne
    Mary Thorne Portage, IN
    Thanks Jessica.
  • Marcy
    Marcy Rogers City, MI
    Sherrie, the seal around the tub looks likes it's some kind of transparent tape. Does anyone know what this is?
  • Marcy
    Marcy Rogers City, MI
    I'm sorry Sherrie, I forgot to thank you. Marcy
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Are you sure it isn't some kind of chalking. Is it clear or white!
  • Marcy
    Marcy Rogers City, MI
    Sherrie, good question, being that I was just cleaning, I think it is white.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Then it's probably chalking. If it's just a little mold you can try bleach unless your grout is colored. If it is colored this will bleach your grout out. One blogger uses peroxide and soaks cotton and lays it on the mold. I get several rentals a day
  • Steph
    Steph Pleasant Lake, IN
    @30 results are available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.SherrieCaulk, caulk, caulk!! Not chalk!
  • Mary Ann Davey Harby
    Mary Ann Davey Harby West Mifflin, PA
    zep tile cleaner sold at home depot is the very best cleaner for tile and grout cleaning. I thought we were going to have to replace ours until we found this product. awsome
Home Repair Tutor