Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Cleaning Shower Tile & Grout:What Works and What Doesn't

How on earth do you get your shower grout and ceramic tile looking new again?

Last weekend I compared three different products: OxiClean, Eco Orange Cleaner, and Chlorox. OxiClean is oxygenated bleach and is a great alternative to chlorinated bleach because it doesn't give off odors and discolor clothing or carpets. Eco Orange is expensive ($80 per gallon), and it would help to know if it works on tough tile & grout stains before you purchase it. Chlorox is highly recommended for cleaning showers but does it always work?

OxiClean is found in most grocery stores in the laundry detergent aisle. The directions are somewhat vague for tile cleaning. This is why I decided to use different amounts and tinkered around with how much to add to one gallon of water. You can view the blog post I put together at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-ceramic....

Overall I thought OxiClean did a fantastic job removing dirt & grime from the tiles and some of the grout. I tried both Eco Orange and

Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-ceramic-tile-and-grout

52 Comments Displaying 15 of 52 comments | See Previous
  • Suzanne B
    Suzanne B Panama City Beach, FL
    Mixture of 20% hydrogen peroxide and baking soda paste works wonders - let sit then use a stiff bristle brush to scrub.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Lori k
    Lori k Everett, WA
    Try 'Bar Keepers Friend' you can get it in most stores in the cleaning section or www.barkeepersfriend.com . It looks Like a 'Comit' can but
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    Sandra T, I was talking about the Scrubbing Bubbles automatic shower cleaner. it hangs in the shower and I just push a button on it as I'm getting out of the shower, close the shower door and it does its job. So easy and no more scrubbing or rinsing.
  • Ligia Bello Dall'Occhio
    Ligia Bello Dall'Occhio Palm Harbor, FL
    if is very difficult to quit the mildew my advice is paint the surface with white works good
  • Rebecca C
    Rebecca C Long Beach, CA
    I bought a Shark steam cleaner which works great! The initial cost for the machine is high, but in the long run, you don't have to buy all the chemical cleaners. It works on just water. It restores the grout to the original white and sanitizes it too!
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    Ligia, painting with white looks nice for a little while the the mildew starts coming through and growing again. There is something you can add to your paint to prevent mildew. But the walls must be cleaned of the mildew first. I used to use spic and
  • Ligia Bello Dall'Occhio
    Ligia Bello Dall'Occhio Palm Harbor, FL
    absolutely
  • Abdul
    Abdul Marietta, GA
    You can try Tilex or TilePlus. This works great but just like Chlorox, it is toxic and the fumes/smell will be too much to stand more than 30 second to minute but it works and most often does not require scrubbing. Hope this is of some help. Good Luck
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Rebecca for recommending the Shark steam cleaner. My wife would love to get her hands on one of them.
  • Linda Jowers
    We have white tile in the shower & on the floor - and my husband works with all kinds of 'mechanic's oil' in his machine shop. I've been using Tilex & Scrubbing Bubbles on the shower/tub area. But, the best thing I have found to clean the dirty [not
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Nancy geise I wouldn't use many of these suggestions to clean floors. This is good for showers and tubs with tile. The grout is different then the grout on the floor. It is epoxy grout. Floor grout is sanded grout. Actually Rebbecca C. Had the best
  • Patti Nicholas
    Patti Nicholas Gulfport, MS
    Definately check all your home cleaning products out at ewg.org before buying more. this page shows what's in Tilex and the side effects it has on your health. It also provides information on safer alternatives. Why put our families and ourselves in
  • Grout Shield Distributors
    I know it seems as if im promoting my product but the easiest way to keep your tile grout clean is with a grout color sealer

www.groutshields.com

• Jessica @ Dear Emmeline
    We're listing our house and have tried a whole host of products on our master standup shower (white tile/white grout). The only thing that really helped get the grout back to an almost white color was Magic Grout. It's a spray bottle cleaner I found at
  • Tara Tompson
    Tara Tompson American Fork, UT
    I don't care about how it look as much as how it smells. My shower is starting to get a really gross mildew smell in it. It almost has a smiley feeling too. I just want it to be really clean! http://www.turboforce.com.au/protecting
Home Repair Tutor