Cleaning Shower Tile & Grout:What Works and What Doesn't

07.28.15
How on earth do you get your shower grout and ceramic tile looking new again?

Last weekend I compared three different products: OxiClean, Eco Orange Cleaner, and Chlorox. OxiClean is oxygenated bleach and is a great alternative to chlorinated bleach because it doesn't give off odors and discolor clothing or carpets. Eco Orange is expensive ($80 per gallon), and it would help to know if it works on tough tile & grout stains before you purchase it. Chlorox is highly recommended for cleaning showers but does it always work?

OxiClean is found in most grocery stores in the laundry detergent aisle. The directions are somewhat vague for tile cleaning. This is why I decided to use different amounts and tinkered around with how much to add to one gallon of water. You can view the blog post I put together at http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-ceramic....

Overall I thought OxiClean did a fantastic job removing dirt & grime from the tiles and some of the grout. I tried both Eco Orange and

Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/clean-ceramic-tile-and-grout

• Sandra T
    Sandra T Harrison, AR
    I love Scrubbing Bubbles. You have to use limeaway if there is a build up but after that spray with scrubbing bubbles and wipe down for shine. you shouldnt have to scrub for a few months if at all
  • Irene
    Irene Montclair, CA
    I have been using Scrubbing Bubbles shower cleaner for a couple of years now. I never have to scrub my tile or the shower door. The shower cleaner hangs on the water pipe where the pipe comes out of the wall. My tile is clean and the grout is white, no
  • Sandra B
    Sandra B Medina, OH
    Get a smaller spray bottle. Fill it with hydrogen peroxide. Spray the grout & any mildew, Let it sit a few minutes & scrub area with a sponge with a scrubby side. Rinse & repeat if needed.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I just used the last of the cleaner and can't find more on local stores, it worked great and foamed up, peroxide is the primary ingredient I'm guessing. Now to test drive the spray on sealer. DO NOT use the spray sealer unless the area is well, and I
  • BERNADETTE D
    scrubbing bubbles mildew remover...no scrubbing needed ...spray on..wait a few minutes..rinse..done..it is the ONLY thing that works on my grout in the shower
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Try one of these two acids which is friendlier than using muratic acid. Phosphoric acid, or sulfamic acid. This is if it is not expoxy grout. A good degreaser and stiff brush if it is epoxy grout. And bleach is the worse thing you can use. I know but I
  • Art
    Art Westmont, IL
    so which is the best to use?
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    There is one that is advertised onn TV that changes the grout color. I can't remember the name. It's advertised not to stain the tile, but of course that depends on how well sealed the tile is. Ceramic or porcelean should hold up fine. Squirt it on and
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Rhonda, I saw your post come through a few days ago and as a result I tried Tilex in the shower yesterday :).

I need to use it or the other great solutions everyone has posted more frequently to prevent ongoing grout issues. You're

• Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks Kelly for the Tile Guard recommendation. It seems like all the more potent cleaners have flammable vapors. Our grout isn't looking so hot in many places and I know it's my fault. Sometimes life gets so busy!! I may try a product will rejuvenate
  • Rhonda G
    Rhonda G Lockport, NY
    I'm not sure if my post appeared or not, but here goes: I've lived here for 30+ years and have never had a mildew/mold problem in my two bathrooms. I use a squeegee to wipe down the the showe tiles after each use. Once a week I spray with Tilex. I knew I
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I used Tile Guard One Step Grout Sealer. it claims to not damage tiles, but if they are porous I would try it in one spot first. It's manafactured for Homex. The vapors are flamable, most likely due to the propellant. This comes in a spray can. You have
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Great tip Gail, I particularly like your Mustard top idea (very creative). It's encouraging that the Jasco product worked after so many hours of cleaning and no progress. It can be very frustrating to see no results.
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Elaine, I added your suggestion to my list of remedies. Everyone has been offering up some great solutions to this problem.
  • Home Repair Tutor
    Home Repair Tutor Pittsburgh, PA
    Good recommendation Kelly. I'll look for Finazzle at the store. Do you have a recommendation on grout sealers? This is another area where there are so many products and it's hard to determine which one is good.
Home Repair Tutor