Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
10.15.14

House Mouse

Light brown to black in color, small eyes, pointed nose, large ears, long tail and about 2 inches in length. The house mouse is the most common rodent pest in most parts of the world. The female mouse can give birth every three weeks to a dozen babies, that's 150 babies a year! Their diet consists mainly of plants & grains but they will eat meat & dairy products as well and require very little water to survive. House mice nest in and around structures, especially in stacked firewood, stones, bricks, leaves and other debris. They establish a territory near food sources, generally 10 to 30 feet from their nest. House mice breed throughout the year and often share nests with their "relatives". House mice spread disease through bite wounds and contaminating food & water with their waste products. They can also spread disease through parasites such as ticks, fleas & mites. These parasites bite the infected mouse and then spread the disease by biting humans, this is why controlling rodent problems are extremely important. Prevention tips include: 1) Eliminate harborage in and around the house. Do not allow piles of leaves to accumulate next to the home, remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, firewood, etc. 2) Seal holes & cracks inside & outside the home. Mice can fit through a hole as small as 1/4 in length. 3) Mice eat 15-20 times a day, so never leave food out. 4) Empty
45 Comments Displaying 15 of 45 comments | See Previous
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I have no clue if they are allergic to it Bonnie. Have you Googled it?
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Cindy W.
    Cindy W. Oshkosh, WI
    Anyone know how to keep mice out of a garden? I had problems this past summer. They built a nest under my rhubarb leaves!! We killed dozens this past fall. Any suggestions? Will the peppermint oil work outside also?
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I would imagine it would Cindy, but you'd have to redo it after every rain. Maybe just planting some mint around the edge of your garden? I'm not sure if the plant gives off as much scent, but since they are allergic to peppermint I would think so.
  • Sandy B
    Sandy B Kingsley, PA
    Put your cats to work if you have any. or go adopt a kitten or two from the shelter.
  • P Long
    P Long Hanover, PA
    Becky, do you know how to keep skunk away? lol
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I'm sorry I don't P Long. I just happen to know about the mice thing because my wonderful hubby researched it online about nine years ago. I kept telling him we had mice in the basement but he
    • Lynn
      lynn Atchison, KS
      So miss Becky, I live in Ks. We have the same problem. What works best???
  • K
    K Georgetown, KY
    Did the peppermint thing and did not deter the little guys at all. We also have cats. We simply have crafty non-peppermint allergic mice. We use humane traps and relocate them to a more suitable location.
  • Vanessa D
    Vanessa D Sharon Hill, PA
    I've heard catnip does the trick for mice in the garden. Not sure if it's the plant or the clientele the plant attracts that keeps them away, though. :P
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    K, did you use the 100% PURE peppermint OIL? The extract one uses for cooking will NOT work.
  • Cindy W.
    Cindy W. Oshkosh, WI
    I don't think I want to try catnip Vanessa, I have four dogs and don't want my garden trampled! LOL I will try the peppermint oil though, and maybe even peppermint type plants. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • P Long
    P Long Hanover, PA
    Does anyone know how?
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Know how what?
  • Cheri
    Cheri Sandy Hook, CT
    I live back in the woods so I get lots of mice in the house. I tied the mouse traps, the kind that snap, but they only work a few times before you have to replace them. Then someone told me about this way. You get a 5gal. Bucket & put a few inches of
  • Melody Dopp
    Melody Dopp Baker City, OR
    Cheri....we do the bucket thing when we go camping. Works great & no mice in the camper! YEAAAA
A-1 Watkins Pest & Termite Control
  • Likes

Terry S Chrissy Wittenmeier Mary K Phelps