House Mouse

Survival Tips 01.04.15
Light brown to black in color, small eyes, pointed nose, large ears, long tail and about 2 inches in length. The house mouse is the most common rodent pest in most parts of the world. The female mouse can give birth every three weeks to a dozen babies, that's 150 babies a year! Their diet consists mainly of plants & grains but they will eat meat & dairy products as well and require very little water to survive. House mice nest in and around structures, especially in stacked firewood, stones, bricks, leaves and other debris. They establish a territory near food sources, generally 10 to 30 feet from their nest. House mice breed throughout the year and often share nests with their "relatives". House mice spread disease through bite wounds and contaminating food & water with their waste products. They can also spread disease through parasites such as ticks, fleas & mites. These parasites bite the infected mouse and then spread the disease by biting humans, this is why controlling rodent problems are extremely important. Prevention tips include: 1) Eliminate harborage in and around the house. Do not allow piles of leaves to accumulate next to the home, remove any piles of debris, stones, bricks, firewood, etc. 2) Seal holes & cracks inside & outside the home. Mice can fit through a hole as small as 1/4 in length. 3) Mice eat 15-20 times a day, so never leave food out. 4) Empty
  • Cindy W.
    Cindy W. Oshkosh, WI
    I don't think I want to try catnip Vanessa, I have four dogs and don't want my garden trampled! LOL I will try the peppermint oil though, and maybe even peppermint type plants. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • P Long
    P Long Hanover, PA
    Does anyone know how?
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    Know how what?
  • Cheri
    Cheri Sandy Hook, CT
    I live back in the woods so I get lots of mice in the house. I tied the mouse traps, the kind that snap, but they only work a few times before you have to replace them. Then someone told me about this way. You get a 5gal. Bucket & put a few inches of
  • Melody Dopp
    Melody Dopp Baker City, OR
    Cheri....we do the bucket thing when we go camping. Works great & no mice in the camper! YEAAAA
A-1 Watkins Pest & Termite Control