Hometalk.com

How to get sticky grease off of glass?

Any tips on how to get greasy residue off of glass? I just bought some delicate glass "shades" for some wall sconces I have. They are covered in something really tough to get off. I tried Windex and it got a little off. Then just soap and water and that got some more, but I could be here a long time trying different things unless someone has something a little more powerful. Thanks for the help! (can't use anything abrasive, it might hurt the finish so nothing baking soda)
22 Comments Displaying 15 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • Lyndi F Reidsville, NC
    You must keep Krud Kutter in your home. It's great for lots of things, especially this.
  • Celeste W Lawrenceville, GA
    Cigarette lighter fluid is first in my line of defense on price tags and anything sticky. Almost always works miracles (I buy 8 ounce containers).
  • Marta S Tempe, AZ
    Goo Gone works well for me but not the gel, the liquid. Oil products dissolve the glue.
  • There is a product called "Remove" that is used in hospitals, nursing homes, ect that should work. Look for it at places that sell surgical supplies like Medicine Chest
  • Regular ol' olive oil will do the job. Just keep in mind oils remove oils. (Even on oily faces!)
  • Janet Pressley Canton, NC
    Rubbing alcohol. Preferably in a spray bottle.
  • Melanie Beaverton, OR
    I was going to suggest baking soda. I use it on glass all the time and have never had scratches as a result of its use. Maybe some lemon juice mixed with your soap? It's natural and non abrasive. Never tried it but thought I'd offer a thought....
  • Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I never thought of so many different options. I've heard good things about goo gone, but I will try some of the homemade solutions first. Free is my first choice. And we always have WD40 around so I will try that as
  • Jeanine Wester - I find the best glass cleaner is scrubbing bubbles - works great for lime build up on shower 1doors and windows that haven't been cleaned in a long time, and with minimal
  • There are a lot of things that wonder chemical WD-40 can do and cannot do. Here is a link from Snopes that will outline the true facts. Scroll to bottom. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-4...
  • Margita Ashburn, VA
    Rub peanut butter into the residue and let it sit for a little while (15-20 min.). Then wipe off the peanut butter with a paper towel and wash your glass with dish detergent. This works for me every time I am trying to get labels of containers.
  • Be careful in how you use WD-40. I worked for a product safety organization in my past life and we had respiratory complaints when using this product for other than it was intended for. It does indicate to use in a well ventilated area, but people tend
  • Nancy M Florence, CO
    Try "Un-du". It's liquid. It's for sticker, tape & label remover. It's acid free and photo safe so should be ok on your glass. I use it for scrapbooking. Works great for removing grease, tar, gum, candle wax and more. The price isn't too bad. Kind of
  • Terri J York, PA
    De-Greaser sold by automotive stores - diluted or full force depending on how bad the surface is has always worked for me. Once the grease is gone - clean with Windex, vinegar and water or whatever.
  • Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    Thanks everyone!
  • Likes

Debbie Borthwick Connie Arnoldussen