Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

How to get sticky grease off of glass?

Any tips on how to get greasy residue off of glass? I just bought some delicate glass "shades" for some wall sconces I have. They are covered in something really tough to get off. I tried Windex and it got a little off. Then just soap and water and that got some more, but I could be here a long time trying different things unless someone has something a little more powerful. Thanks for the help! (can't use anything abrasive, it might hurt the finish so nothing baking soda)
22 Comments Displaying 15 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • Lyndi F
    Lyndi F Reidsville, NC
    You must keep Krud Kutter in your home. It's great for lots of things, especially this.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Celeste W
    Celeste W Lawrenceville, GA
    Cigarette lighter fluid is first in my line of defense on price tags and anything sticky. Almost always works miracles (I buy 8 ounce containers).
  • Marta S
    Marta S Tempe, AZ
    Goo Gone works well for me but not the gel, the liquid. Oil products dissolve the glue.
  • Anita VanRoekel
    There is a product called "Remove" that is used in hospitals, nursing homes, ect that should work. Look for it at places that sell surgical supplies like Medicine Chest
  • Momma Hen's frugal life
    Regular ol' olive oil will do the job. Just keep in mind oils remove oils. (Even on oily faces!)
  • Janet Pressley
    Janet Pressley Canton, NC
    Rubbing alcohol. Preferably in a spray bottle.
  • Melanie
    Melanie Beaverton, OR
    I was going to suggest baking soda. I use it on glass all the time and have never had scratches as a result of its use. Maybe some lemon juice mixed with your soap? It's natural and non abrasive. Never tried it but thought I'd offer a thought....
  • Jeanine Wester
    Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I never thought of so many different options. I've heard good things about goo gone, but I will try some of the homemade solutions first. Free is my first choice. And we always have WD40 around so I will try that as
  • Gail Salminen
    Jeanine Wester - I find the best glass cleaner is scrubbing bubbles - works great for lime build up on shower 1doors and windows that haven't been cleaned in a long time, and with minimal
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    There are a lot of things that wonder chemical WD-40 can do and cannot do. Here is a link from Snopes that will outline the true facts. Scroll to bottom. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-4...
  • Margita
    Margita Ashburn, VA
    Rub peanut butter into the residue and let it sit for a little while (15-20 min.). Then wipe off the peanut butter with a paper towel and wash your glass with dish detergent. This works for me every time I am trying to get labels of containers.
  • Gail Salminen
    Be careful in how you use WD-40. I worked for a product safety organization in my past life and we had respiratory complaints when using this product for other than it was intended for. It does indicate to use in a well ventilated area, but people tend
  • Nancy M
    Nancy M Florence, CO
    Try "Un-du". It's liquid. It's for sticker, tape & label remover. It's acid free and photo safe so should be ok on your glass. I use it for scrapbooking. Works great for removing grease, tar, gum, candle wax and more. The price isn't too bad. Kind of
  • Terri J
    Terri J York, PA
    De-Greaser sold by automotive stores - diluted or full force depending on how bad the surface is has always worked for me. Once the grease is gone - clean with Windex, vinegar and water or whatever.
  • Jeanine Wester
    Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    Thanks everyone!
Jeanine Wester
  • Likes

Debbie Borthwick Connie Arnoldussen

Stay updated on all the latest home and garden trends! It's free & easy and takes just a sec!