How to get sticky grease off of glass?

04.11.16
Any tips on how to get greasy residue off of glass? I just bought some delicate glass "shades" for some wall sconces I have. They are covered in something really tough to get off. I tried Windex and it got a little off. Then just soap and water and that got some more, but I could be here a long time trying different things unless someone has something a little more powerful. Thanks for the help! (can't use anything abrasive, it might hurt the finish so nothing baking soda)

• Marta S
    Marta S Tempe, AZ
    Goo Gone works well for me but not the gel, the liquid. Oil products dissolve the glue.
  • Anita VanRoekel
    There is a product called "Remove" that is used in hospitals, nursing homes, ect that should work. Look for it at places that sell surgical supplies like Medicine Chest
  • Shoestring Amy
    Shoestring Amy Quincy, KY
    Regular ol' olive oil will do the job. Just keep in mind oils remove oils. (Even on oily faces!)
  • Janet Pressley
    Janet Pressley Canton, NC
    Rubbing alcohol. Preferably in a spray bottle.
  • Melanie
    Melanie Beaverton, OR
    I was going to suggest baking soda. I use it on glass all the time and have never had scratches as a result of its use. Maybe some lemon juice mixed with your soap? It's natural and non abrasive. Never tried it but thought I'd offer a thought....
  • Jeanine Wester
    Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I never thought of so many different options. I've heard good things about goo gone, but I will try some of the homemade solutions first. Free is my first choice. And we always have WD40 around so I will try that as
  • Gail Salminen
    Jeanine Wester - I find the best glass cleaner is scrubbing bubbles - works great for lime build up on shower 1doors and windows that haven't been cleaned in a long time, and
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    There are a lot of things that wonder chemical WD-40 can do and cannot do. Here is a link from Snopes that will outline the true facts. Scroll to bottom. http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40...
  • Margita
    Margita Ashburn, VA
    Rub peanut butter into the residue and let it sit for a little while (15-20 min.). Then wipe off the peanut butter with a paper towel and wash your glass with dish detergent. This works for me every time I am trying to get labels of containers.
  • Gail Salminen
    Be careful in how you use WD-40. I worked for a product safety organization in my past life and we had respiratory complaints when using this product for other than it was intended for. It does indicate to use in a well ventilated area, but people tend
  • Nancy M
    Nancy M Florence, CO
    Try "Un-du". It's liquid. It's for sticker, tape & label remover. It's acid free and photo safe so should be ok on your glass. I use it for scrapbooking. Works great for removing grease, tar, gum, candle wax and more. The price isn't too bad. Kind of
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    De-Greaser sold by automotive stores - diluted or full force depending on how bad the surface is has always worked for me. Once the grease is gone - clean with Windex, vinegar and water or whatever.
  • Jeanine Wester
    Jeanine Wester Peoria, IL
    Thanks everyone!
  • Cindy
    Cindy Brighton, MI
    You guys are crazy if you use all of these chemicals on you glassware! Dish soap and water get it OFF! And a good hot rinse! BUT My question is why it a appears????
  • Tomesha Kennedy
    Tomesha Kennedy Decatur, GA
    why suggestions of others are CRAZY??? thxs all for ur suggestions... they all were helpful!!!
  • Tomesha Kennedy
    Tomesha Kennedy Decatur, GA
    I just tried baking soda and that did the trick!!!! Thxs Melanie :-)
    • Bella
      Bella Plano, TX
      Brilliant! You and Melanie are brilliant! Just tried this and it was so easy! Thank you!
  • Ahtram Tocss
    Ahtram Tocss Norfolk, VA
    Dawn and hot water works for me!
  • Cindy
    Cindy Brighton, MI
    Washing them is the easy part. BUT what makes a hazy greasy-like film appear AFTER washing and drying the glasses, after a few months. It isn't dust, we do not smoke and I hate cooking with grease. It is such a mystery to me.
  • ADifferentDirec
    ADifferentDirec Belle Plaine, KS
    Stanley degreaser works wonders. Very concentrated so a bottle will make several bottles which you can vary the strength.
  • Judysbolick
    I use degreaser a lot! Especially on stains on clothes! I tried Oxyclean and Shout, but the degreaser got greasy chili stain out!
Jeanine Wester