10 Mistakes Not To Make When Heating Your Home

03.23.15
Even with a constant flow of information about energy efficiency, homeowners make major heating mistakes that end in higher electric bills and larger environmental footprints. Here are 10 of those errors, with the cause and effect of each decision. http://bit.ly/WaQTfH

1. Maintaining a constant temperature

Cause: A persistent myth suggests that you can save energy by leaving the house at a comfortable 68 degrees (a widely recommended winter setting), even when you are sleeping or away at work.

Effect: You could miss out on significant potential energy savings by not using a programmable thermostat and adjusting the temperature overnight and during the workday.

2. Closing off vents in unused rooms Cause: You don't want to waste energy heating rooms you aren't using. Effect: Again, this just wastes energy and makes your furnace run inefficiently because it changes the air pressure in the whole system. Experts recommend never

• Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Thanks WE There's one in Omaha I'll contact.
  • Janet wender
    Janet wender Nashville, TN
    what is the difference of sealing up a vent and closing it? I had to get a new furnace and the tech told me something about putting something in to stop the flow from going to vent . Isn't it cheaper in the long run to have 2 different units so u can
  • Janet wender
    Janet wender Nashville, TN
    also on the list what is an envelope certification? Couldn't find a heating certification person in nashville??
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    You need a building analyst envelope shell specialist. Do not worry if they do not have the heating/heat pump or AC certifications.
    Janet Wender, Ideally having two units are often less expensive then having one unit that is zoned. Here is why.

The smaller the unit, the more efficient they become. So if you had a single system it's size would be twice as large it

• AK Complete Home Renovations
    Janet, are you referring to putting something inside the vents to stop the air from coming out? We haven't heard of that. Now there typically your HVAC system has the option to close of air flow to entire floors?!
  • Jackie M
    Jackie M Philadelphia, PA
    I only see one item..where are the other 9 out of 10 ways??? nevermind..found it.. :)
  • Betty C
    I can't get to the other 9 ways??
    Betty you need to go to the very first posting. There is a link on it to tell you more.
  • AK Complete Home Renovations
    Jackie & Bettty, this is the link to the additional info: http://bit.ly/WaQTfH

Thank you for reading & posting!!

• Betty C
    Thank you! Very informative!
  • Janet wender
    Janet wender Nashville, TN
    Thank you or all your information ..really does help. I guess I'll open those vents back up ha
  • AK Complete Home Renovations
    Thank you, Betty C & Janet wender - Good luck getting those heating bills down this winter! ;)
  • Kevin Feigin
    Kevin Feigin Aurora, CO
    Nice information. Thanks for sharing
  • Judy
    Judy Paris, TX
    We now have a home with a heat pump, ugh! What is the most effective way to stay warm in winter. Does fine in summer to keep us cool. Our first winter with it, us older folk just don't stay warm. Just South of Metroplex (DFW_Texas)
AK Complete Home Renovations