Hometalk.com

10 Mistakes Not To Make When Heating Your Home

Even with a constant flow of information about energy efficiency, homeowners make major heating mistakes that end in higher electric bills and larger environmental footprints. Here are 10 of those errors, with the cause and effect of each decision. http://bit.ly/WaQTfH

1. Maintaining a constant temperature

Cause: A persistent myth suggests that you can save energy by leaving the house at a comfortable 68 degrees (a widely recommended winter setting), even when you are sleeping or away at work.

Effect: You could miss out on significant potential energy savings by not using a programmable thermostat and adjusting the temperature overnight and during the workday.

2. Closing off vents in unused rooms Cause: You don't want to waste energy heating rooms you aren't using. Effect: Again, this just wastes energy and makes your furnace run inefficiently because it changes the air pressure in the whole system. Experts recommend never

22 Comments Displaying 15 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • Thanks Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com for the great info & answers!!
  • Carroll A Coos Bay, OR
    Thanks! Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Living on the coast we get such high winds that looks like the solution.
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Thanks WE There's one in Omaha I'll contact.
  • Janet wender Nashville, TN
    what is the difference of sealing up a vent and closing it? I had to get a new furnace and the tech told me something about putting something in to stop the flow from going to vent . Isn't it cheaper in the long run to have 2 different units so u can
  • Janet wender Nashville, TN
    also on the list what is an envelope certification? Couldn't find a heating certification person in nashville??
  • You need a building analyst envelope shell specialist. Do not worry if they do not have the heating/heat pump or AC certifications.
  • Janet Wender, Ideally having two units are often less expensive then having one unit that is zoned. Here is why.

The smaller the unit, the more efficient they become. So if you had a single system it's size would be twice as large it

• Janet, are you referring to putting something inside the vents to stop the air from coming out? We haven't heard of that. Now there typically your HVAC system has the option to close of air flow to entire floors?!
  • Jackie M Philadelphia, PA
    I only see one item..where are the other 9 out of 10 ways??? nevermind..found it.. :)
  • I can't get to the other 9 ways??
  • Betty you need to go to the very first posting. There is a link on it to tell you more.
  • Jackie & Bettty, this is the link to the additional info: http://bit.ly/WaQTfH

Thank you for reading & posting!!

• Thank you! Very informative!
  • Janet wender Nashville, TN
    Thank you or all your information ..really does help. I guess I'll open those vents back up ha
  • Thank you, Betty C & Janet wender - Good luck getting those heating bills down this winter! ;)