3 DIY Fabric Softener Recipes: Vinegar! Baking Soda! Hair Conditioner!

projects 4 days ago
I learned 3 DIY fabric softener recipes from one of my favorite bloggers, Sayward Rebhal. The first: Add vinegar to the rinse cycle of your wash. The second: Mix 6 cups vinegar and 1 cup baking soda. Add 1/2 to 1 cup during the rinse cycle. The third: Mix 6 parts water with 3 parts vinegar and 2 parts hair conditioner. Mix it all up in a container (stirred, not shaken) and then use ½ cup (or less, as needed) per load.

Learn more: http://www.networx.com/article/3-easy-homema...

• Becky J
    Becky J Highland, IL
    when we were kids, we used a vinegar rinse for our hair all the time. Never think about it now.
  • Linnea Krones
    Linnea Krones Houston, TX
    Thanks Chaya! My washer locks, so there is no "adding" later. Maybe I will try adding them to the softener cup.
    • Shari Veater
      Shari Veater Depoe Bay, OR
      get a Downey ball from WalMart :) I too have a locking washer
  • Deborah Harvey
    Deborah Harvey Bellefonte, PA
    I use the vinegar/hair conditioner/water "recipe" and add occasionally will a small bottle of store brand dye free unscented fabric softener to the mix.. it works really well.
  • SteveC
    SteveC Austin, TX
    When vinegar (acetic acid) and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) combine the result is water and carbon dioxide gas. The carbon dioxide gas is released into the atmosphere as a greenhouse gas. The remaining water does nothing for softening. You would be
  • Linda K
    That's right, Steve. I have been using vinegar for the rinse for a long time. It helps for removing odors and the detergent remains and my hard water deposits. I use it in place of Rinse Aid in the dishwasher too, and my dishes never were so clean. The
    • Shelbybella
      shelbybella Marshalltown, IA
      Linda K ...I have used vinegar for years as my rinse aid in the D/W. Isnt it great ???!! AND cleans the DW at the same time ! I use vinegar for a lot of things....soak your whites
  • Andrea S
    Andrea S Canada
    I have been adding vinegar to the laundry and stopped using fabric softener sheets. It works great and I love it. The clothes come out smelling nice, not like vinegar. I am experimenting with vinegar in the dishwasher. While I don't see the sparkling
  • Kim Palmeruk
    I always use just plain vinegar. Just fill the dispenser to the top. Cheap, no vinegar smell either.
  • Audrey
    Audrey Slayton, MN
    I used to use 4 Tlb's vinegar in my rinse cyle for my babies clothes, by orders of my doctor, because my son had such sensitive skin. It worked!
  • Valorie Chapman
    Valorie Chapman Veblen, SD
    I have been using just vinegar in the rinse for a few years now. Works Great and never a smell. Does work better than sheets.

Chaya K