Hometalk.com

stairs 03.22.13

DIY Stair Tread Gauge

Yes, you can cut your own stair treads--without having to measure! We threw together an easy stair tread gauge using scrap wood and a few small parts you might already have in your garage. Hop on over to our blog for the step-by step details.

To see more: http://bit.ly/XKKs4Z

13 Comments Displaying 13 of 13 comments
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Wow if only you'd posted this before we did our stairs! I still clipped it incase anyone else we know needs to know this great tip.
  • Rita and Cane Gresham, OR
    Thanks, Becky. We only did this project just two weeks ago--and we definitely figure things out as we go. :-)
  • Becky Blair, NE
    My hubby had some sort of tool he used, but not all cuts were perfect.

They do look beautiful though....

• Miriam I New York, NY
    Great tips Rita and Cane! Saving this one for future reference. Becky looks like your hubby did a wonderful job!
  • Rita and Cane Gresham, OR
    Becky, those stairs do look beautiful!
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Thank you Miriam, Rita and Cane. All our trim is stained dark and with the light floors I thought it would look nice if the
  • The Karl Dahm stair template tool you compare your homemade tool to is for the more tedious task of fitting treads for spiral staircases or winder stairs. In those cases the $230 price is well worth it. For straight run stairs the commercially available
  • You can also use a "tic stick" or "joggle stick" for fitting stairs treads and lots of other tasks. Even cheaper and easier to make than a tread fitting jig and more versatile. Scroll down a little ways on this linked page from WoodWeb: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Scribi...
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Becky, it must be a NE thing! My husband is from Nebraska and we're installing wood treads and facing the risers on our stairs too. I have to seal the plugs in the screw holes and then we'll get the risers faced.
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Not sure if it's a Nebraska thing because we both love stained wood, but it's funny that your stairs will be so similar to ours. Were you're stairs carpeted before? I ask because of the risers. We didn't have risers. Just 2x10 lumber treads on stringers.
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Becky , Yes they were carpeted, it was nasty when I pulled up the carpet even though I vacuumed them all the time. I'm putting the first coat of ?? many on the plugs for the screw holes
  • Becky Blair, NE
    My hubby stained and finished ours before installing them. I have yet to fill in the holes from the nails. He used in power nail gun. I can't remember how many coats of poly he used, but I know it was quite a few.
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Mine insisted on screws and glue. I put 6 coats on the treads before they were installed. I'll put as many coats as it takes for the plugs to end up good enough, probably at least 6. I'll put at least 3 coats on the plywood that we are facing the risers
  • Likes

Tammy Nancy a Butcher Mary Poe Jacque & Matt @ theDIYvillage.com Tina @ Repurposed Life Joann Jones