DIY Stair Tread Gauge

Stair Project 06.21.15
Yes, you can cut your own stair treads--without having to measure! We threw together an easy stair tread gauge using scrap wood and a few small parts you might already have in your garage. Hop on over to our blog for the step-by step details.

To see more: http://bit.ly/XKKs4Z

• Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Becky it must be a NE thing! My husband is from Nebraska and we're installing wood treads and facing the risers on our stairs too. I have to seal the plugs in the screw holes and then we'll get the risers faced.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Not sure if it's a Nebraska thing because we both love stained wood, but it's funny that your stairs will be so similar to ours. Were you're stairs carpeted before? I ask because of the risers. We didn't have risers. Just 2x10 lumber treads on stringers.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Becky , Yes they were carpeted, it was nasty when I pulled up the carpet even though I vacuumed them all the time. I'm putting the first coat of ?? many on the plugs for the screw
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    My hubby stained and finished ours before installing them. I have yet to fill in the holes from the nails. He used in power nail gun. I can't remember how many coats of poly he used, but I know it was quite a few.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Mine insisted on screws and glue. I put 6 coats on the treads before they were installed. I'll put as many coats as it takes for the plugs to end up good enough, probably at least 6. I'll put at least 3 coats on the plywood that we are facing the risers
Rita and Cane

Search Feedback