DIY Stair Tread Gauge

Stair Project 06.21.15
Yes, you can cut your own stair treads--without having to measure! We threw together an easy stair tread gauge using scrap wood and a few small parts you might already have in your garage. Hop on over to our blog for the step-by step details.

To see more: http://bit.ly/XKKs4Z

• Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Mine insisted on screws and glue. I put 6 coats on the treads before they were installed. I'll put as many coats as it takes for the plugs to end up good enough, probably at least 6. I'll put at least 3 coats on the plywood that we are facing the risers
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    My hubby stained and finished ours before installing them. I have yet to fill in the holes from the nails. He used in power nail gun. I can't remember how many coats of poly he used, but I know it was quite a few.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Becky , Yes they were carpeted, it was nasty when I pulled up the carpet even though I vacuumed them all the time. I'm putting the first coat of ?? many on the plugs for the screw
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Not sure if it's a Nebraska thing because we both love stained wood, but it's funny that your stairs will be so similar to ours. Were you're stairs carpeted before? I ask because of the risers. We didn't have risers. Just 2x10 lumber treads on stringers.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Becky it must be a NE thing! My husband is from Nebraska and we're installing wood treads and facing the risers on our stairs too. I have to seal the plugs in the screw holes and then we'll get the risers faced.
  • Brian Campbell, Basswood Artisan Carpentry
    You can also use a "tic stick" or "joggle stick" for fitting stairs treads and lots of other tasks. Even cheaper and easier to make than a tread fitting jig and more versatile. Scroll down a little ways on this linked page from WoodWeb: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Scribi...
    The Karl Dahm stair template tool you compare your homemade tool to is for the more tedious task of fitting treads for spiral staircases or winder stairs. In those cases the $230 price is well worth it. For straight run stairs the commercially available
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Thank you Miriam, Rita and Cane. All our trim is stained dark and with the light floors I thought it
Rita and Cane