Making birdbaths for Christmas gifts

to do 6 days ago
I am back from Michigan and enjoying the beautiful Texas weather. Working in the yard and whipping it back into shape after my three month absence. My children have inhereted my love of gardening so I have decided to make them birdbaths for their gardens.
  • I wanted a very old and rustic looking birdbath so I tried something new. I mounded up garden earth and chips of shredded mulch. I allowed the cement to drip off the edges of the castor bean leaf. I am very happy with the results.
  • Here I used an elephant ear. You can see where the leaf shrunk and left a border around the edge. This will be good when I apply the stain after the cement has cured properly.
  • Items needed; tarp, sand, gloves, cement, plastic bag, shovel and something to mix the cement in, I prefer a wheelbarrow.
  • Lay the tarp, mound your sand, cover with a plastic bag, and lay your leaf face down. Mound the leaf with your cement mixture being sure it is thicker in the middle and tapers toward the leaf edges. Cover with tarp for 48 hrs.
  • Lisa
    Lisa New Hartford, CT
    I am definitely going to try this come summer. What a wonderful idea!
  • Julia Hammond
    HI do you have any suggestions for a base and how I might attach one?
    • Victoria
      Victoria Lockhart, TX
      Julia Hammond I made a base once. I had a wooden porch pillar that was hollow. When I made my birdbath I added a "Post" made of the cement to the base of the leaf. It was made
  • Susan
    Susan Lawrence, KS
    How long did it take for the cement to dry thoroughly?
    • Victoria
      Victoria Lockhart, TX
      Susan I left it for a week before I unwrapped it. A month before I sealed it but it is all guess work on my part. :)
  • SK Sartell, Pro
    SK Sartell, Pro Salem, OR
    What a great gift idea. Thanks for sharing. sk
  • Victoria
    Victoria Lockhart, TX
    Thanks SK, if you try it you'll find it's pretty easy.
Victoria

Search Feedback