Making birdbaths for Christmas gifts

fountains 06.07.15
I am back from Michigan and enjoying the beautiful Texas weather. Working in the yard and whipping it back into shape after my three month absence. My children have inhereted my love of gardening so I have decided to make them birdbaths for their gardens.
  • I wanted a very old and rustic looking birdbath so I tried something new. I mounded up garden earth and chips of shredded mulch. I allowed the cement to drip off the edges of the castor bean leaf. I am very happy with the results.
  • Here I used an elephant ear. You can see where the leaf shrunk and left a border around the edge. This will be good when I apply the stain after the cement has cured properly.
  • Items needed; tarp, sand, gloves, cement, plastic bag, shovel and something to mix the cement in, I prefer a wheelbarrow.
  • Lay the tarp, mound your sand, cover with a plastic bag, and lay your leaf face down. Mound the leaf with your cement mixture being sure it is thicker in the middle and tapers toward the leaf edges. Cover with tarp for 48 hrs.
  • Sharon S Smith
    Sharon S Smith Marks, MS
    I work with children ages 8-14 do you think they could do this?
  • Katie
    Katie Canada
    This is so cool, Victoria! As soon as the 4 feet of snow is gone at my house, I'm going to make one of these. Well, I'll have to wait for the rhubarb and sunflowers :-)
  • Sherie Walden
    Sherie Walden Purcell, OK
    I used the reverse concept to make stepping stones several years ago. they turned out wonderful. I may try this one this summer. this kind of thing is so much fun.
  • Sunshineintampa
    sunshineintampa Wesley Chapel, FL
    OMG thanks for sharing! Now I cant wait to play with concrete and make a few.
  • Victoria
    Victoria Lockhart, TX
    Just saw post about fountains. When using the castor beans I did some with the stem left long and when I pulled the leaf off it had a natural opening for the pump hose. You can use a wooden dowel or I suppose a stick for the same purpose. I just made a
  • Victoria
    Victoria Lockhart, TX
    If I understand your question, I did not remove it. I did that on purpose as I wanted to make it look centuries old and worn. This is where I allowed the cement to run over the edge of the leaf and clump in the mulch. Normally I use sand and clean up the
  • Cindy
    Cindy Acworth, GA
    I am also curious how you removed the clumping concrete from the orioginal pict of the bath?
  • Cindy
    Cindy Acworth, GA
    This is beautiful Victoria. Do you have any picts that show it in your garden?
  • Cindy Luby
    Cindy Luby Plano, TX
    I really like this. My top broke on my bird bath and you can't just buy the top. Your a genius. lc
  • Cindy
    Cindy Acworth, GA
    I love this am going to make one
  • Pam Payne Dyson
    Pam Payne Dyson Brainerd, MN
    I made a fountain with this same technique by taking two leave with the stems coming into the middle...cutting one stem off and keep the other to allow a small hole for the fountain tube! Worked really well!
  • Kathy Piecek
    Kathy Piecek Loxahatchee, FL
    What a great creative idea....thanks for sharing...have to make some!!
  • Sharon W
    this is Awesome Victoria ... Thanks for sharing!
  • Beverly P
    Beverly P Sterling Heights, MI
    I would like to make this into a fountain. Any suggestions on how to do that? I would suppose you have to make a hole for the tube to come up through?? Love this and have wanted to do it for a long time but didn't know how, thank you for sharing!
  • Shirley R
    Shirley R Marietta, GA
    Love the bird bath idea out of concrete!!! I'm going to make one!!!
Victoria