Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Opossum

10.12.14
The Opossum is the only marsupial (pouched animal) native to the United States. It has a white face with 50 pointy teeth, grayish-white loose fur and a scaly long tail (used as a fifth limb). Adults measure about 2.5 feet in length and 1 foot in height. They look like big Rats, but are not related to them in any way, but are closely related to the Kangaroo & Koala. Females can give birth up to twice a year (typically 5-8 in a litter). These babies are very tiny, about the size of honeybees. They will immediately crawl into the mother's pouch after birth, where they continue to develop (usually about 4 months of age when they are ready to leave the pouch). Opossums are scavengers and eat almost anything, including fruits & vegetables, snails/slugs, snakes, a wide variety of insects, garbage and dead animals of all types. They also catch and eat rats & mice, in some way they help maintain a clean & healthy environment and have a naturally high level of immunity to most diseases, including rabies, but can carry fleas ,as do most domestic animals. Opossums are nocturnal and typically go about their quiet task late at night. They are also excellent tree climbers but cannot jump and sometimes get trapped in trash cans and other containers. Opossums do not dig holes/destroy properties and are non-territorial. They are always on the move and adapt to any environment where food,
45 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 45 comments | See Previous
  • Jackie
    Jackie Arcadia, FL
    Thanks for the advice on horses.......we had a possum get stuck in our garbage can a few days ago. Next day a neighbor pulls out a garbage bag in the back of her car, and I asked her what it was...a possum she shot to give another lady, to cook, said she
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Joan A
    Joan A Warrensburg, MO
    My dad grew up in Oklahoma and his family was poor. They ate opossums. He said they tasted great just very greasy. He used to pester me to cook one. I finally told him I would if he killed and cleaned it. I never heard about it again.
  • Clare J White
    Clare J White Portland, OR
    We own one of those jungle cats that would leave presents and bring his pals through the cat door. The cat door shuts at dusk but sometimes we missed the time. That darn cat brought in a baby possum, it was playing dead so it got scooped up with a towel
  • Karen N
    Karen N Mount Prospect, IL
    We have posssums in our neighborhood, but I have not ever had any problems with them by my home. My neighbor, however, mast have his/her home "marked". They have had mice inbtween walls, racoons in their attic, chipmunks eating away at their garage
  • Janet F
    Janet F Lodi, CA
    not everything in life is beautiful but I believe they have a purpose. A friend of mine has them coming into the house through the cat door, eating cat food and sleeping on the couch with the cats. Not sure I want to be that up close and personal with
  • Nadlou
    Nadlou San Bernardino, CA
    Just to add to my earlier post - I've had several possums get into my house where I live in a regular neighborhood. I've picked them up by their prehensile tales and hurried them outside to drop them in the grass. They can't reach your hand although they
  • Kate Colvin
    I had one actually come in my duplex one night and climb on the bed with me. I thought it was one of my cats so was petting it, until I opened my eyes. I screamed, jumped out of bed and went one way as it was hauling butt in the other direction. The
    • Missingtx
      missingtx Junction City, KS
      Kate Colvin That 's about as much fun as I had in the middle of the night. I thought a rat had gained entrance & was on my hip about 2 a.m. one morning I screamed and jerked the covers as it
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    Oh my goodness.. this was a fascinating read and I loved the comments just as much! Kate Colvin that is crazy!! Petting it like a cat.. oh my oh my...
  • Marg C
    Marg C Middletown, NY
    Kate Colvin I can't imagine your fright. It's really funny but I don't think I would have made it that night because I would have had a heart attack! It is cute though that it liked being
  • Kate Colvin
    LOL Well I was mostly asleep at the time and had my eyes shut.
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    All very interesting. THANKS FOR SHARING.
  • New Era Pest Control
    You know these look very frightening but I have never had one attack me in my many years. They try to look mean with their teeth but there real babies. They have a tendency to chew through air conditioning duct work but wouldn't hurt you in the least.
  • New Era Pest Control
    Funny Story, I get a call in the middle of the night and a woman says that they had a rat climbing up and down the stairs and they have it trapped in the toilet. I get to the house and I must admit, I was a little scared of a rat running around reported
A-1 Watkins Pest & Termite Control

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing