New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
The Opossum is the only marsupial (pouched animal) native to the United States. It has a white face with 50 pointy teeth, grayish-white loose fur and a scaly long tail (used as a fifth limb). Adults measure about 2.5 feet in length and 1 foot in height. They look like big Rats, but are not related to them in any way, but are closely related to the Kangaroo & Koala. Females can give birth up to twice a year (typically 5-8 in a litter). These babies are very tiny, about the size of honeybees. They will immediately crawl into the mother's pouch after birth, where they continue to develop (usually about 4 months of age when they are ready to leave the pouch). Opossums are scavengers and eat almost anything, including fruits & vegetables, snails/slugs, snakes, a wide variety of insects, garbage and dead animals of all types. They also catch and eat rats & mice, in some way they help maintain a clean & healthy environment and have a naturally high level of immunity to most diseases, including rabies, but can carry fleas ,as do most domestic animals. Opossums are nocturnal and typically go about their quiet task late at night. They are also excellent tree climbers but cannot jump and sometimes get trapped in trash cans and other containers. Opossums do not dig holes/destroy properties and are non-territorial. They are always on the move and adapt to any environment where food,
  • Leida R
    Leida R Tampa, FL
    All very interesting. THANKS FOR SHARING.
  • New Era Pest Control
    You know these look very frightening but I have never had one attack me in my many years. They try to look mean with their teeth but there real babies. They have a tendency to chew through air conditioning duct work but wouldn't hurt you in the least.
  • New Era Pest Control
    Funny Story, I get a call in the middle of the night and a woman says that they had a rat climbing up and down the stairs and they have it trapped in the toilet. I get to the house and I must admit, I was a little scared of a rat running around reported
  • Grady
    Grady Evergreen, CO
    I did know this stuff already, but still very interesting.
  • Treasuredchaos.com
    apparently a mama got under my house once...I saw her run between the house and the chicken coop (after about a week of missing eggs) and I tried to handle it. Of course I failed, she effectively played possum and was gone the next time I looked. I
A-1 Watkins Pest & Termite Control

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post