Laundry Room Ladder Drying Rack

October Projects 08.09.15
Jacque inherited all of her grandfathers antique window washing ladders. They come in various sizes. We decided that our laundry room would be a great place to hang one up to serve as a drying rack for clothes that can't go in the dryer. It works great and hangs high and out of the way.
Difficulty: Easy
  • Ladder drying rack
  • Hook Eyes drilled into the ladder connect the ladder to the
  • Two toggle ceiling hooks on swivels attach the chain to the ceiling.

To see more: http://www.thediyvillage.com/2012/02/laundry-room-reveal-going-vertical.html

• Karen Colton
    Karen Colton Grand Blanc, MI
    I am saving this page I want to do the ladder thing but ON M

MY BALCONY I miss not having a clothes line

• Donalda
    Donalda Canada
    Reminds me of the drying rack my grandparents had in their house. However, it actually had ropes that allowed it to be raised and lowered - another idea that could be added to this clever one. (Pully system)
  • Juanita
    Juanita North Haven, CT
    I didn't have to use a pulley system because my basement ceiling is low enough for me to reach and in an out of the way corner I use the side railing of a baby crib and it works great.
  • Marlee
    Marlee Hampshire, IL
    Jacque, laundry room looks grea! Can you tell me how your husband attached the cabinets to the wall? Also did you use the front of the cabinet as the side you attached to the wall? Thanks
  • Diane Gryka
    Diane Gryka Warren, MI
    I used a similar theme and hung it in the kitchen for a pot rack works great.
  • Andrea | Personally Andrea
    How great is that! I have crazy high ceilings in my tiny laundry space...this is exactly what I'll do. Maybe not an heirloom ladder but I'll see what I can scope out.
  • Sherry Merryman
    Sherry Merryman Oceanside, CA
    Looking forward to seeing Jen's pic. Sorry I couldn't get any from Scotland.
  • Jacque & Matt @ theDIYvillage.com
    Very cool Jen Wenschhof can't wait to see the picture!
  • Jen Wenschhof
    Jen Wenschhof Fairfield, PA
    Hi Jacque and Matt, I live in China and I think we have a similar pulley thing on our closed balcony for drying clothes. I'll take a picture of it and send it to you soon.
  • Sherry Merryman
    Sherry Merryman Oceanside, CA
    Hi Jacque and Matt: I'm so sorry but I don't have a pic of it. I might be able to get someone who still lives there to send me one if they still have them. I would think most people have dryers now, but you never know. Will send it on if I get one. Happy
  • Jacque & Matt @ theDIYvillage.com
    Sherry Merryman I'd love to see a picture of the pulley system you're talking about! Very cool idea!
  • Maureen O'Donovan
    Maureen O'Donovan Johnstown, OH
    Very creative! I likey!!!
  • Sherry Merryman
    Sherry Merryman Oceanside, CA
    When we lived in Scotland, there was a drying rack in the kitchen. They have 14 ft ceilings over there. The racks have 5 poles in them that run the long way, like the ladder sides. There is a pulley system that is used to raise and lower the rack. It was
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I saw something similar for a pot rack in the kitchen. Great use of wasted space and repurposing family heirlooms.
Jacque & Matt @ theDIYvillage.com