Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
06.19.14

How do you paint to look like old barn wood?

We live in a double-wide mobile home. I want to paint our bathroom and kitchen cabinets to have the look of old barn wood. They are some sort of laminate, so I know I will need to prime them first, but where do I go from there?
6 Comments Displaying 6 of 6 comments
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Painting to look like barn wood sounds like quite a challenge. But you might consider refacing. Our Hometalk friend KMS wrote this really informative article about refacing: http://www.networx.com/article/about-cabinet...
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Part of the beauty of old barn wood is the grain and variations in weathering color etc. A simple paint job will not reproduce this with much similarity. A skilled faux artist however can get much closer to the real thing.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    You might find this post on whitewashing by Storywood Designs helpful: http://www.hometalk.com/710602/using-liming-...
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    it sounds like you want to do this yourself? There are many tutorials on painting. If I was covering up the old cabinets I would clean them, lightly sand them, then lightly prime them. If there were any streaks or bumps from paint I would sand those
  • Ann
    Ann Medford, OR
    It depends on the result you want. My old kitchen cabinets were a mix of wood, plywood and particle board. I painted all of them bright red then antiqued with a black glaze. I loved the look! Now we're in our newer home and I miss my red kitchen.
  • Anne D
    Anne D Canada
    I was just at Home Depot today and picked up some Zinsser 1 2 3 Primer.for my ugly old laminate cabinet.They told me to make sure I wash(not with tps) the cabinet...then lightly sand with a 80 grit sandpaper to take the shine off.then wash the cabinet
Julie
  • Like

Anne D

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!