Unique Christmas Tree with Repurposed Fence Boards

all seasons 10.22.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
#Recycle #HolidayCheer #ChristmasTree #ReclaimedWood
My hubby zipped through this project in record time using old fence boards and a little spray paint! I then took over and used my Cricut to attach vinyl letters, distressed it a little and the project was done! Be sure to read the post for all the details.
Difficulty: Moderate
  • Finished product
Every bit of wood was pulled from my husband's scrap wood re-purposing pile; the trunk of the tree was part of an old bookshelf and was already a dark stain, the “branches” were his favorite re-purposed fence slat wood, and the “stand” was just a chunk of 2″ x 6″.
  • Arranging the fence boards
The fence boards started out with a more rustic look.
  • Lightly spray painting
While he liked the rough, unfinished look of the wood, my husband wanted a bit more uniformity to accommodate the vinyl lettering to happen later. All he did was lay out the “branches” and dust them with a light aerosol primer (just happened to have some Zinser 1-2-3 oil-based primer). No need to do the back, but he did hit all the edges and ends.
The Christmas tree before attaching vinyl letters.
A perfect message for my imperfect tree.
  • Added Christmas ornament as a reminder of the season
The reason for the season with a personal touch.

To see more: http://www.martysmusings.net/2012/12/scrap-wood-christmas-tree.html

• Marty's Musings
    Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
    Thanks, everyone! I'm so glad everyone has wood around. My hubby is going to have to hunt for some more!
  • Cynthia Weber @ A Button Tufted Life...
    Fantastic... Rustic and charming... really clever!
  • Rea D.
    Rea D. Temecula, CA
    My husband uses recycled fence wood for all kinds of things. Can you give us the size of the wood on each part of the tree?
    • Marty's Musings
      Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Rea D. Hi, there. Our tree is actually buried up in our very hot attic but I'll try to remember to measure later. You really can make it any dimension to fit your space.
  • Karen
    Karen Lexington, NC
    Marty - Really pretty! I have boards from an old fence that have been stacked - some have turned a little "green". Did you treat your boards or sand them before cutting and putting together? I don't want to lose the natural weathered look.
    • Marty's Musings
      Marty's Musings Greensboro, NC
      Karen If you click into the post it will give you all the details. You can definitely sand them and we used a whitewash on top of it. You're actually just a few minutes from me :) My daughter lives in Lexington.
Marty's Musings

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post