Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Awesome Remodels 09.08.14

Painting Countertops

I wanted to cover my dated ugly green counter tops, I first used Rustoleum counter top paint. Highly dissatisfied with the results, I could never recommend the product. It was thick, hard to roll, bubbled and there was no way you could go over or touch up an area. Plus the paint is toxic smelling! Absolutely horrid! I ended up redoing the tops with home made chalk paint and clear sealer. Blog shows more details and you will find the first link as well as the redo on the right side bar in top 10 posts.

To see more: http://www.asouthernbellewithnorthernroots.com/2012/01/countertop-paint-before-and-after.html

27 Comments Displaying 15 of 27 comments | See Previous
  • Shannon O- A Southern Belle with Northern Roots
    yes, this product was an instant mistake that just got worse, I literally could not set a cup of coffee on it or it would cause a ring, the company said use a coaster....on my kitchen cabinet? Now with reg paint and sealer I can place my cup where I
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Pam Miller
    So happy to read this.My next project was using rustoleum counter top stuff.I did free hand paint over a hutch laminate top, I sanded, primed with Kilz it oil primer, painted with my acrylic paints and topped with 4 coats of clear polyurethane, about 10
  • Patricia
    Patricia Eustis, FL
    I too used the Rustoleum Countertop paint and am very dissatisfied. My first thought was to use paint and a sealer. After the first disaster I was afraid to make things worse but your experience has given me the courage to try again. Thanks!
    I sure hope they remove this particular product from their line, Wishing you the best in round 2!!
  • Sissy J
    Sissy J Schaumburg, IL
    I used the Rustoleum Countertop paint on a small bathroom vanity top & had the same experiences you all did. The stuff is awful. I love that I found your idea of home made chalk paint. I make it all the time & love the stuff--hadn't thought of using it
    Your welcome, I have only heard one person say they had any luck with the product. Ick! Such a nuisance!! I am surprised it is still for sale.
  • Judy Rutkowski
    Judy Rutkowski Mansfield, OH
    I have never heard of chalk paint-please give details on it.
  • Vicky
    Vicky Glendale, CA
    I used the paint from my tub. It holds up well n is easy to wipe down.
    Judy, if you click this link it will take you to part 2 of the blog post and how chalk paint is made. http://www.asouthernbellewithnorthernroots.c...
  • Sandra
    Sandra Fort Myers, FL
    I did my cabinets and counter top with a product called counter top magic..they came out beautiful..then i fauxed the counter top in white marble ...great results and that was 4 months ago..holding up well..coated wit a water based poly..very little
      Smcc great. I will have to check out that product. What store did you purchase it at? I have never heard of it so may have to order online.
    • Sharon
      Sharon Oakland, ME
      Sandra what I can find online for countertop magic is that it is a cleaner, did you use that or a paint product? thanks
  • Sandra
    Sandra Fort Myers, FL
    I got it at home depot it comes in a quart size can..usually for under 20.00..also you can have it tinted. hope this helps and happy painting..oh and p.s. a few years ago i painted an old bench that I found in the trash with it and it is outside in the
  • Cheryl
    Cheryl Sicklerville, NJ
    was anyone able to find this paint? I can't find it
Shannon O- A Southern Belle with Northern Roots