Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 02.06.14

Interior Storm Window: One Option & a DIY How To

In some recent articles on the HTRC for articles for renters (how to save money on utilities) & homeowners (getting ready for ole man winter) we talked about another option for storm windows; namely a DIY kit that mounts on the inside. This kit from Frost King simply consists of a sheet of specialty plastic & double sided tape & ran a whopping $1.87. The only tools required are a knife or scissors & a hair dryer.

Tips & Tricks:

As for the veener / paint peeling - I would have to recommend you use a little common sense & consider the quality of the material – the better the quality, the less likely you will have an issue.

While you might be tempted to use blue painters tape to avoid this... we do not recommend you try this. These tapes are only designed to remain easily removable for a one-week period. After this time period they have been known to stick tenaciously & cause the same issue you are trying to prevent. Now if you happen to have made this mistake, no worries as a little patience & a hair dryer will help remedy the situation.

5 Comments Displaying 5 of 5 comments
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Thank you so much for this great info, and for laying it out in a way that's so easy to understand!
  • Great to see you SLS!!
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    I attached one of these kits to an exterior door in my former office, which I converted to my toddler's bedroom. The room was always cold and drafty, largely because of this old exterior door, and this kit made a huge difference. As you said, it's a
  • Connie - my first thought is you might be over-handling the tape & not pressing it in well (not only during the initial stick but also after you strip the backing off & apply the plastic). If you are doing all that properly you might have an issue with