Castoffs Repurposed Into A Bird Cafe'

Found the post and two light fixtures and the wood plaque at the Habitat Restore.
  • The post is not treated wood, so we got 2 vinegar jugs, cut out top of one & bottom & top of the other, taped them together and concreted post into it, then buried it. Old tire on other side of fence is not ours. Eyesore (Planter?) :)
  • Baffle is galvanized metal. Before painting I cleaned it with hot soapy water, rinsed & dried, then rinsed with weak solution of water/ammonia, let dry, sanded with 250 grit sandpaper, cleaned with tack cloth, primed & painted.
  • Left one panel of glass out of light globe. Feeder pan is from a ceiling fixture..the part that goes next to ceiling. Drilled holes in bottom for drainage. I used acrylic paint for sign and sprayed clear sealer to protect it.
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks! Got it up yesterday before the cold weather comes in today. Filled it with black oil sunflower seeds. No birds.....or squirrels...yet! We hope the baffle works. We have some really smart and persistent squirrels in our back yard!
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    You did a great job, Pat. Good luck on the squirrel front.
  • Rustic Crafts & Chic Decor - Renee
    I love how you used re-purposed parts and it turned out so great!
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    Thanks, Douglas & Rustic Crafts. There are oak trees at the back of our yard & right now there is an abundance of acorns on the ground. We may have a battle with the squirrels when the acorns are gone....or maybe before. I have had this feeder in my
  • Pat aka Queen of Thrift
    Pat aka Queen of Thrift Scottsboro, AL
    It has been up a month, and the squirrels have not attempted to outwit the baffle....yet! Right now there are plenty of acorns still on the ground. They do scurry around the base of the feeder gathering up sunflower seeds that have spilled over the
Pat aka Queen of Thrift