Hometalk.com

upcycling 03.11.14

Upcycled/ Repurposed Ladder | Bathroom Shelf DIY

Upcycled Ladder | Bathroom organization DIY

If you are anything like me, than you are likely on a budget. Times are tough for many of us, and going out and buying new and expensive shelving and storage units aren't always an option. So what do we need to do to give ourselves the space we need for storage without going over our budget?! We need to open our eyes to seeing items we already have (or can find for low cost at a thrift/antique store) in a whole new way. We need to upcycle something old into something new that will work for us- most of the time, using an item for a purpose it was not intended for – like this ladder I hung up and turned into a bathroom storage unit for my skinny upstairs bathroom.

The idea for this project started brewing early last week, when I found an old red license plate out in our barn. I brought it into the house knowing I wanted to create something with it. A little bit later the same day I was cleaning my bathroom, and bothered by the fact we never have anywhere to set our little items or hang towels because of the skinny narrow shape of our bathroom.

Then.... I thought of the idea to turn the ladder on its side, and add some hooks so it will double as a shelf for small items, and as

To see more: http://thepinkhammerblog.com/2012/12/16/bathroomladder/

10 Comments Displaying 10 of 10 comments
  • Don't ya just LOVE old ladders?! Too cute!
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Charming. Love the dragonfly hooks.
  • I just love ladders as props and have used them for decades:) Yours is such a handy, space saving version for your bathroom. I dry brushed one of mine in white and have it hanging in our living room. I wish our home was larger....I'd have many more on
  • Luci Fur Mount Washington, KY
    How was it attached to the wall?
  • Thank you everyone!!!! Luci, I simply just nailed two large nails into the wall and hung. The nails had larger heads which sunk into the wood a bit creating stability.
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    this is just awsome. I love the sideways hanging. It's different and adds more fun.
  • Sondra A Janesville, WI
    I love the usefulness of these old ladders and your idea is great! The dragonfly hooks really add. Many years ago I fastened one to my living room ceiling to hang my many houseplants from. Sure was handy as I could move my plants around as they grew or I
  • Melody M Chattanooga, TN
    oh i love the dragonflies..how cute..
  • Jean R Craftsbury Common, VT
    Heading out to the barn to get an old ladder! I've been thinking about doing this, and you just forced an old procrastinator into action. Thanks.!
  • FCSteach Willow Grove, PA
    What a great idea!