Hometalk.com

Deck and Patio 10.02.13

Curious about the affect snow can have on the safety of your deck?

One question that may pop into your mind as the snow sticks to the ground this winter is, "Can my deck handle snow build-up?" If you live in colder areas where snow can buildup, the safety of your deck can be something of a concern. For example, "The winter of 1996 saw an unusual amount of snowfall in North Dakota. As it continued to snow in the Fargo area . . . deck after deck collapsed under the weight of the accumulating snow" (Morse).

Here are a few things you can do to insure the safety of your deck under snowloads.

1. Build a structurally sound deck to begin with!

If you are building a deck it is crucial that you follow all building codes. Products byWahoo Decks, such as DryJoistEZ structural deck drainage system, comply with all current International Building Codes. Wahoo Decks also offers assistance with the engineering of building decks by providing 3rd party engineering reports for load span capabilities. Just by knowing the limitations of the decking material you are using can make the difference between having a structurally sound deck or an unstable one. Learn more about the load span of Wahoo Decks'

To see more: http://wahoodecks1.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/how-snow-affects-the-safety-of-your-deck-wahoo-decks-

9 Comments Displaying 9 of 9 comments
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    This is great info. Thank you so much!
  • This is very good.... especially depending on the age of the deck. IBC has changed over the years, and decks that are older in nature are just not built the same as ones today. The reports of overloads of people on decks that collapse are too numerous to
  • Wahoo Decks Gainesville, GA
    Thanks....we enjoy your comments and we will continue to be advocates for bringing awareness to the importance of deck safety. It is all to often overlooked in the structural engineering of a home.
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    For some more info...check out this article I wrote.

http://www.networx.com/article/7-reasons-you...

• Wahoo Decks Gainesville, GA
    Kevin, great article, we will share it as well.

Thanks again for including the aluminum decks boards in your temperature test (even though I am sure that is what spurred

• KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Wahoo Decks Thanks for the post ( and the test samples) That temp test I did surprised me a in a few ways.
  • Wahoo Decks Gainesville, GA
    KMS Woodworks No problem at all. Let me know if you have anymore questions or need anything else in the future!
  • Are you guys using Networx???? If so, what has your results been??
  • Wahoo Decks Gainesville, GA
    Straight Nails Construction Hi, we are not yet listed or using Networx but we are looking into setting up a profile.
  • Like

Hilda Marchesin