Hometalk.com

Gardens 03.22.14

Bird Buffet ~ A Repurposed Bird Feeding Station

Skewering bread, suet cakes and fruit onto an old rake head gave it new purpose as a bird feeding station. There was even a spot to hang my new peanut feeder !
Time: 30 Minutes Cost: $5 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/diy-project-turn-a-rake-head-into-a-bird-buffet/

29 Comments Displaying 15 of 29 comments | See Previous
  • Tanya Australia
    What a wonderful idea and treat for the birds Barb
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, they are loving it, Tanya!
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Could one bend the tines of a pitchfork to do the same thing? I have one that's handle is cracked in the head so I can't use it for really digging. Do the squirrels get into your feeder?
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Love your pitchfork idea, Kelly! It might be difficult to bend those tines, why not just skewer the goodies and hang it as it is? Squirrels do get onto this feeder, but ,so far, they are only interested in the peanuts. I have squirrel proof feeders
  • Donna R Tarentum, PA
    I have five old rakes and plenty of hungry birds -- you are a life saver!!!! The thing I like that best is that the "feeder" is easy to reach and refill (especially in the middle of winter). Thanks a bunch for sharing.
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Have at it, Donna : ) I'd love to see pictures of your creations when you finish!
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    If I hang it so that the times point out I'll probable poke myself. Just had a brain flash. I could put the handle into the ground so that the tines point up. Food won't fall off and I won't get poked. Thanks Barb.
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    That will do it! Have fun, Kelly !
  • Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    love this !
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Kathleen ~ so do the birds!
  • Paula Chapman Lincolnton, NC
    Awesome idea!!! Thank you for sharing!!!
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    So glad you came by and took a look, Paula!
  • Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    As for the pitchfork...why not tie it to a small tree. The tines curve out so you could skewer items to it and yet the birds could light on the tree and sit there and eat! Sort of like an old fashioned drive-in ... but this could be called the "fly-in"!
  • Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I have more squirrels than birds and they are fun to watch too, Staking it to a tree would draw them right to it. hummm I could make it a squirrel feeder and place it in the corner so the squirrels would leave my garden alone. Thanks @Jeanette S.
  • Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Sounds like a plan, Kelly !