Bird Buffet ~ A Repurposed Bird Feeding Station

Decor Ideas 03.19.15
Skewering bread, suet cakes and fruit onto an old rake head gave it new purpose as a bird feeding station. There was even a spot to hang my new peanut feeder !
Time: 30 Minutes Cost: $5 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/diy-project-turn-a-rake-head-into-a-bird-buffet/

• Donna R
    Donna R Tarentum, PA
    I have five old rakes and plenty of hungry birds -- you are a life saver!!!! The thing I like that best is that the "feeder" is easy to reach and refill (especially in the middle of winter). Thanks a bunch for sharing.
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Have at it, Donna : ) I'd love to see pictures of your creations when you finish!
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    If I hang it so that the times point out I'll probable poke myself. Just had a brain flash. I could put the handle into the ground so that the tines point up. Food won't fall off and I won't get poked. Thanks Barb.
    • Bernice H
      Bernice H New York, NY
      Kelly S ha! just RE-reading this from almost a year ago...and that is exactly what I thought when I read your comment above!! great minds... soo what do you do when goldfinches
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    That will do it! Have fun, Kelly !
  • Kathleen M
    Kathleen M Manahawkin, NJ
    love this !
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Kathleen ~ so do the birds!
  • Paula Chapman
    Paula Chapman Lincolnton, NC
    Awesome idea!!! Thank you for sharing!!!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    So glad you came by and took a look, Paula!
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    As for the pitchfork...why not tie it to a small tree. The tines curve out so you could skewer items to it and yet the birds could light on the tree and sit there and eat! Sort of like an old fashioned drive-in ... but this could be called the "fly-in"!
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    I have more squirrels than birds and they are fun to watch too, Staking it to a tree would draw them right to it. hummm I could make it a squirrel feeder and place it in the corner so the squirrels would leave my garden alone. Thanks @Jeanette S.
    • Bernice H
      Bernice H New York, NY
      Hey Kelly....I bought one of those big cakes of seed and hung it in a tree ,used one of those 3tiered basket things.i have a wheelbarrow with dirt and frozen flowers under the tree. My neighbors cat ,a big fluffy girl ,recently started laying and
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Sounds like a plan, Kelly !
  • Susan E
    Susan E Pollock Pines, CA
    Super idea. At my house it would be a squirrel feeder, with a few crumbs left over for the birds. :)
  • Susan From Colorado
    Love this idea, last year (my first year to live where is actually snows) I took an old metal wire hanging flower basket and filled it with some old misc. nut mixture left over from Christmas and hung it in the tree out back.. We had a wonderful time
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Barb Rosen you are so wonderful to take care of the birds and animals and other critters. I find it so relaxing and enjoyable to watch nature at work and do everything I can to help HER (Mother Nature). Don't you wish everyone did?
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Thank you Bernice H, I try my best. I can do a lot because my neighbors and I have very large lots for a HOA and we all love the creatures that visit.
Barb Rosen