Bird Buffet ~ A Repurposed Bird Feeding Station

animals or birds 11.05.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
Skewering bread, suet cakes and fruit onto an old rake head gave it new purpose as a bird feeding station. There was even a spot to hang my new peanut feeder !
Time: 30 Minutes Cost: $5 Difficulty: Easy
  • Repurposed Rake Head becomes a bird feeder.
  • Close-up of the bird feeding station

To see more:

• Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Have at it, Donna : ) I'd love to see pictures of your creations when you finish!
  • Donna R
    Donna R Tarentum, PA
    I have five old rakes and plenty of hungry birds -- you are a life saver!!!! The thing I like that best is that the "feeder" is easy to reach and refill (especially in the middle of winter). Thanks a bunch for sharing.
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Love your pitchfork idea, Kelly! It might be difficult to bend those tines, why not just skewer the goodies and hang it as it is? Squirrels do get onto this feeder, but ,so far, they are only interested in the peanuts. I have squirrel proof feeders
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    Could one bend the tines of a pitchfork to do the same thing? I have one that's handle is cracked in the head so I can't use it for really digging. Do the squirrels get into your feeder?
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, they are loving it, Tanya!
  • Tanya
    Tanya Australia
    What a wonderful idea and treat for the birds Barb
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks Bernice! It was a fun, easy way to put the bird feeding goodies out of my lab's reach too ! They just love bread and suet cakes : )
  • Bernice H
    Bernice H New York, NY
    This is a super good creative idea!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Watch out, Sherrie, there's more up my gardening sleeves : )
  • Sherrie S
    Sherrie S Debary, FL
    Not only does it feed your feathered friends it also is lovely to look at. What will you think of next..........
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Karen, I have two labs and have to be careful of the same thing! This does the trick !
  • Karen - The Graphics Fairy
    This is such a great idea! I can't throw bread out in my yard, because my Corgi runs out and eats it, and he's supposed to be on a diet! This would definitely solve that problem!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Jeanette! I wish you were closer by, we'd do that! I put out quite a spread : )
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Barb, if you feed the birds this yummily (this should be a word), I want to come over for lunch! Such a great idea!
  • Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen Wilmington, DE
    Thanks, Douglas! They are all over it this morning! Wish I had telephoto lens so I could sneak up on them!
Barb Rosen

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post