Hometalk.com

10.28.13

Green Alternative to Poly for your hardwood flooring

Just finishing up a multiple room floor refinish. Flooring is finished with a single coat of a natural Zero VOC product called Monocoat. Application is simple and fast, and the results are beautiful.
14 Comments Displaying 14 of 14 comments
  • Becky Blair, NE
    This sounds like a great product Kevin. I found there website, but you have to email to get a quote on cost. Can you fill me in a bit on that please?
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Becky For this project we got a bit of a deal at $90 a liter...the website lists this for $116 liter. That sound expensive but this stuff goes a long way. I did a 200 sq foot sun room with not
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Thanks Kevin. It sounds like a great product and the coverage is amazing! I'll have to look into getting some this Spring when I start working on my furniture again. I use a water based poly now,
  • Vicki Barber Houghton Lake, MI
    Can this product be used on furniture instead of a stinky poly?
  • Becky Blair, NE
    I Googled it and yes.....

http://www.monocoat.us/Furniture/

• Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Only one coat? The floors are beautiful. I am getting ready to redo my wood floors and have always put on two coats. One coat would be wonderful. How are you suppose to clean the finish? And do the floors change any in the color when you use the finish?
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Sherrie This finish is not a surface finish, more of a penetrating oil finish. When I do typical poly I do a min of 3 coats...it those cases the finish is the "wear" layer. With an oil finish
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    you have done a absolutely beautiful job! I need to redo my floors. Learned the hard way about dry wall dust. It takes the finish right off the floor like sand paper. Thanks I am pinning this so I can use it as a guide.
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I have a small shop vac that attaches to a extra hose and sanding screen rig for sanding drywall...it catches 99% of the dust the rig will actually "stick" to the walls and ceiling when the vac is running...best investment ever
  • It looks beautiful! Do you need to completely remove old poly to use this? Our floors desperately need to be refinished, would love to do it myself, but scared of those big sanders!
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    SheilaG, Plum Doodles this needs to be applied to bare wood. If you rent a pad sander they are pretty user friendly. It will just take you more time because they are not as aggressive.
  • Thanks, Kevin- I'd rather take more time than accidentally sand myself into the basement! :)
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    we are painting the house now, we plan on re-doing our floors after Christmas and plan on trying this. Does it come in eggshell, satin, semi-gloss and gloss?