Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
08.13.14

Green Alternative to Poly for your hardwood flooring

Just finishing up a multiple room floor refinish. Flooring is finished with a single coat of a natural Zero VOC product called Monocoat. Application is simple and fast, and the results are beautiful.
16 Comments Displaying 15 of 16 comments | See Previous
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Becky For this project we got a bit of a deal at $90 a liter...the website lists this for $116 liter. That sound expensive but this stuff goes a long way. I did a 200 sq foot sun room with not
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Thanks Kevin. It sounds like a great product and the coverage is amazing! I'll have to look into getting some this Spring when I start working on my furniture again. I use a water based poly now,
  • Vicki Barber
    Vicki Barber Houghton Lake, MI
    Can this product be used on furniture instead of a stinky poly?
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    I Googled it and yes.....

http://www.monocoat.us/Furniture/

• Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Only one coat? The floors are beautiful. I am getting ready to redo my wood floors and have always put on two coats. One coat would be wonderful. How are you suppose to clean the finish? And do the floors change any in the color when you use the finish?
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Sherrie This finish is not a surface finish, more of a penetrating oil finish. When I do typical poly I do a min of 3 coats...it those cases the finish is the "wear" layer. With an oil finish
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    you have done a absolutely beautiful job! I need to redo my floors. Learned the hard way about dry wall dust. It takes the finish right off the floor like sand paper. Thanks I am pinning this so I can use it as a guide.
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I have a small shop vac that attaches to a extra hose and sanding screen rig for sanding drywall...it catches 99% of the dust the rig will actually "stick" to the walls and ceiling when the vac is running...best investment ever
  • SheilaG, Plum Doodles
    It looks beautiful! Do you need to completely remove old poly to use this? Our floors desperately need to be refinished, would love to do it myself, but scared of those big sanders!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    SheilaG, Plum Doodles this needs to be applied to bare wood. If you rent a pad sander they are pretty user friendly. It will just take you more time because they are not as aggressive.
  • SheilaG, Plum Doodles
    Thanks, Kevin- I'd rather take more time than accidentally sand myself into the basement! :)
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    we are painting the house now, we plan on re-doing our floors after Christmas and plan on trying this. Does it come in eggshell, satin, semi-gloss and gloss?
  • Kim G
    Kim G Liberty Hill, TX
    I have "paper bag" flooring (done of concert floor) the technique of poly and brown craft paper and 3 or 4 layers of poly. On our living room floor I used a brown stain over the paper and then poly. The poly is water based and stain is oil based with
    • Nancy Spencer Carlson
      Kim G great insight on the issues with paperbag floors. Haven't seen that anywhere, just the raves about how great they look (which they do, done right.)
KMS Woodworks

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!