Carpet Squares in Basement

Home Improvement 07.13.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
After working for an architect for over 20 years, I amassed a collection of commercial carpet tiles over the years that were discontinued. I didn't have enough to finish the whole basement ...but I found some at Ollies here in Ohio pretty cheap. So overall, it cost me about $150 to do almost the whole basement, minus one storage area and a raised platform area (which I'm eventually going to do a paper bag floor on). These are perfect for a basement .....they have a rubber backing, so no need for a carpet pad. And if there is ever a mess, just pick it up, clean or replace ...Simple!! A good DIY project .....just need sharp box cutter to cut tiles with. As I was doing the carpet, I took a little bit off at a time so that I could get a tight fit. Ended up doing a lot more cutting that way, but didn't waste any carpet tiles due to overcutting. Whew, what a job this was ...after taking out all the old nasty carpeting that had been there for over 20 years. I took a pic of my current project, I'm in the process of working on .... I'm crocheting a small throw rug out of some jute I've had laying around for years. The lighting isn't that great in my pics, the carpet looks a lot better in person.
  • Max Schau
    Max Schau Australia
    This is absolutely amazing, a job well-done !
  • Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    Patchwork blanket for the floor. What a great idea!
  • Shirley
    Shirley Bath, MI
    Very-Very nice-you've just confirmed for me that's what I want to do in my basement!
  • Maureen O'Donovan
    Maureen O'Donovan Johnstown, OH
    If I had to do it over again, I think I would offset them more. It looks more appealing then squaring them together. I used 3 different sizes, which is why they were offset to begin with. Each row was the same size. Just changes sizes every time you do a
  • Krazy K
    Krazy K Windsor, VA
    I luuuuuv these carpet tiles! U can actually purchase them at some Dollar Tree stores. I use them in my mudroom where the dogs run in and out. They clean up wonderfully if u have a carpet cleaning machine. For a dollar a tile u cant beat the deal or the
Maureen O'Donovan

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post