Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Carpet Squares in Basement

After working for an architect for over 20 years, I amassed a collection of commercial carpet tiles over the years that were discontinued. I didn't have enough to finish the whole basement ...but I found some at Ollies here in Ohio pretty cheap. So overall, it cost me about $150 to do almost the whole basement, minus one storage area and a raised platform area (which I'm eventually going to do a paper bag floor on). These are perfect for a basement .....they have a rubber backing, so no need for a carpet pad. And if there is ever a mess, just pick it up, clean or replace ...Simple!! A good DIY project .....just need sharp box cutter to cut tiles with. As I was doing the carpet, I took a little bit off at a time so that I could get a tight fit. Ended up doing a lot more cutting that way, but didn't waste any carpet tiles due to overcutting. Whew, what a job this was ...after taking out all the old nasty carpeting that had been there for over 20 years. I took a pic of my current project, I'm in the process of working on .... I'm crocheting a small throw rug out of some jute I've had laying around for years. The lighting isn't that great in my pics, the carpet looks a lot better in person.
21 Comments Displaying 15 of 21 comments | See Previous
  • Maureen O'Donovan
    Maureen O'Donovan Johnstown, OH
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments! There were 3 different sized tiles. I was worried about it at first, but, it does look more like a quilt when you put it together. The beauty of this is if I don't like a certain combination of colors, I could
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Nicki Parrish @ Sweet Parrish Place
    Our family room when I was growing up was like this!
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Love your boyfriends comment. My hubby says he's always bragging me up because I'm always urging him to buy more power tools. LOL I don't stop there either and you'd know if you saw his collection of bowling balls and golf clubs!
  • FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna
    I love it! This would make a fab area carpet in my son's bedroom... dreaming now!
  • Amanda M
    Amanda M Bethlehem, GA
    That would be so much fun in my classroom! Then if one of the squares gets totally wrecked, easy to get up and replace.
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Great idea Amanda. If your students are young enough you can have them pick their own square when sitting on the floor. They'd love that.
  • Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    Wonderful job! I know you will love it. I think it is PERFECT! I saw that paper bag stairs too and I thought it was wonderful!
  • Jenni Cefalu
    Jenni Cefalu Milwaukee, WI
    It reminds me of the patch-work quilts my mom & I make...Smiles :)
  • Fastnacht Shavout
    absolutely beautiful! i was raised poor, and we reused used cardboard boxes and valances curtains to make decorative dressers and special storage areas just our own. so this would have been right up our alley for our floors! one man's junk is another
    • Bernice H
      Bernice H Yakima, WA
      Fastnacht Shavout wow! I had forgotten I also made "dressers" /storage ..out of cardboard boxes, stacked them and secured them together! Produce boxes worked the best! I also used a
  • Max Schau
    Max Schau Australia
    This is absolutely amazing, a job well-done !
  • Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells Jackson, GA
    Patchwork blanket for the floor. What a great idea!
  • Shirley
    Shirley Bath, MI
    Very-Very nice-you've just confirmed for me that's what I want to do in my basement!
  • Maureen O'Donovan
    Maureen O'Donovan Johnstown, OH
    If I had to do it over again, I think I would offset them more. It looks more appealing then squaring them together. I used 3 different sizes, which is why they were offset to begin with. Each row was the same size. Just changes sizes every time you do a
  • Krazy K
    Krazy K Windsor, VA
    I luuuuuv these carpet tiles! U can actually purchase them at some Dollar Tree stores. I use them in my mudroom where the dogs run in and out. They clean up wonderfully if u have a carpet cleaning machine. For a dollar a tile u cant beat the deal or the
Maureen O'Donovan