Remodeling? Don't Get Caught with Your Pants Down.

Backyard Escapes 08.10.14
Make sure your contractor has a Certificate of Liability Insurance

Homeowners, beware: nobody should step on your jobsite without a Certificate of Insurance which has been checked and verified! If you are doing business with a service company that will be working on your premises, you should first make certain that the company has sufficient liability insurance. If work will be performed by the company's owner himself, without other employees, a general liability policy is sufficient. However, if the owner has employees that will be working onsite, workers' compensation insurance is required.

The best way to obtain the Certificate is to have the service company's insurance broker forward the Certificate to you. The Certificate should name you, with the jobsite address, as the Certificate Holder and should name you as the "additional insured." This Certificate will give you proof that coverage is valid, as well as provide you with protection for yourself and 3rd parties in the event a 3rd party sues you due to negligence of the contractor. It will also inform you of the amount of insurance coverage provided so you may determine whether or not the coverage is sufficient for your needs. (For more information, contact your insurance broker.)

  • Sharon Bothwell
    Sharon Bothwell Ridgefield, CT
    We run into this problem quite often with the subs. The Certificate states one name and their invoice states another name. I always tell the subs to send me the Certificate in the name on the invoice or else I will have to cut the check under the name on
  • Kevin M. Veler, Law Office of
    Great information Sharon. One more point. Be sure that the name of the insured contractor is also the contractor's entity name on your contract. If you contract with Joe X Construction LLC, that should be the name on the insurance certificate. Not Joe X
Sharon Bothwell

Search Feedback