Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
Dream Home 05.21.14

January Maintenance Checklist

So, did keeping up with your houses maintenance make your #NewYearsResolution list? Back in 2009 when we first started the HTRC, we created a Monthly Maintenance checklist, to help break down the needed chores into more manageable portions taking into account Holidays, Vacations, and ones overall busy schedules - so with no further ado, here is January's...

The walk about – Grab a screwdriver, a vacuum cleaner with attachments, a rag and a notepad.Make a note of any area's that might need to be watched, or repaired like missing or cracked electrical plates, missing or cracked caulking around the tubs, etc...Tighten up those loose screws on your cabinet drawer pulls, doors and doorknobs. Make sure all the locks and hinges are working smoothly – if not add graphite or an appropriate oilTake care of the items pictured below or make the appropriate notes of items required. Time to go shopping - grab that list from your notepad, write down which size AC Filters you have, and how many Carbon Monoxide (CO) and smoke detectors you have, how many bulbs need to be replaced, etc... & head to your local home store, grab this year supply of HVAC filters, batteries & everything else

Time: 1-2 Hours Cost: $40-150 Difficulty: Easy
8 Comments Displaying 6 of 8 comments
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Thank you! This just made my list! :)
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Good tips and reminders. Thank you.
    • Becky
      Becky Blair, NE
      Hey long time no see Steve! How's your family?
    • Steve G
      Steve G Fort Collins, CO
      Becky

Thanks for the note. My family is great, and I have been really busy with them and a new job, so I haven't had any time to

• Becky
      Becky Blair, NE
      Great to hearSteve. We're doing well. I too have a new job writing for a blog. You'll see new posts here on Hometalk every Tuesday.
  • Edwina Marsh Nally
    Edwina Marsh Nally Riverton, IL
    Thanks very helpful!
  • Lou Ann Newell
    Great tips! We do replace our filters every month and sometimes twice a month due to animals. It is good to know that we do not need the more expensive filters although the cheaper ones are getting harder to find. I did not know that you need to replace
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Great idea. Hubby's pretty good about taking care of the furnace filters, but I like the idea of my going around with a screw driver in hand (though I keep one with changeable heads in almost every room of the house) to tighten knobs and such. Our house
SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC
  • Likes

Miriam I Barbara Mitobe-Taylor Wendy Wendyl Tonya Hull Sacco Photokricket Valerie Kathy

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!