Why Won't My Heat Turn Off?

01.17.15
An AK employee asks: My thermostat (like the one seen here) has been set to a constant 68 degrees. Today, for some reason, the heat just keeps running and the temp keeps going up and up and up. The batteries are new and I've tried tapping it ;)

The heat will go off when I turn it to off. But no matter what temp it's set on, when you turn it on the heat will just run and run. Anyone had this problem? HVAC experts?

• Susan
    Susan Helena, MT
    Probably the sensor is bad---call a repairman.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    If this happened right after the batteries were replaced, remove the cover and check the base plate for crossed white and red wire. They may have been bumped together when the cover was replaced.
  • Poh555
    can not move the on and off button can you help I changed the batteries.

Thanks for your help

• Lets Help One Another
    If your heat won't turn off and your thermostat is operating properly (quick check, disconnect it from the wall or take the batteries out) then most likely your valve(s) is/are stuck on. There is a manually lever that you can use to manually open or
  • Jay Taylor
    Jay Taylor Santa Ana, CA
    I think there is some problem with the sensors. I don't think you will be able to handle the task all by yourself if you don't have any prior experience. I would recommend calling an expert AC service professional. Hope it helps.
AK Complete Home Renovations