Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 08.11.13

Getting the white back from freezer water/ice cube dispenser area AND refrigerator door handles.

I am looking for a solution to get the yellowing (and brown from where the light switch is) white again. Any solutions
20 Comments Displaying 15 of 20 comments | See Previous
  • I like to use a paste like solution of peroxide and baking soda for stain removal. But, if all else fails you could use white paint for plastics and paint them white again....if they are removable that is! :)
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Straight Nails Construction.....When u say OxyClean, I assume you are relating to the "powder" and no the liquid (as in the laundry stain remover?)? I'm a a bit leary to do this (I will, but I don't want to scratch it), do you have any mixture amounts,
  • Robyn Farwell - I am having the same problem. I don't think there is a way to restore plastic that has yellowed. I have used scrubbing bubbles with bleach with some success. Hoping that each
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Gail - When u say the "removable rack" are you talking about the rack that can be removed to clean inside from all the water that goes in? That is pretty much white (although it does not look it in the pictures as I clean it weekly), it's the back &
  • Frances S South Rockwood, MI
    the mr clean sponge
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Tried it Frances - thanks :)
  • Robyn, when I wash my clothes, I use the powder Oxyclean in every load. I had a similar problem with staining, and tried using a bleach/water solution that did not work. I figured I would try the powder, and it took the stain right off. I used the mixing
  • Creative Cain Cabin Bellevue, MI
    I thought when plastic yellowed it had lost it's UV stabilization (breaking down the plastic) I think the only fix is a coat of plastic paint.
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    I used to buy "Plastic Boosters" that I always used on my clear tupperware containers if someone put spaghetti in there and it stained it. This was a miracle worker but no longer sold in stores.The only place you can purchase it is online, at
  • Before putting spaghetti sauce in a plastic container, spray it with cooking spray first. When the leftovers are eaten, the dish should clean right up with no stains.
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Thanks for the tip Straight Nails!!
  • Kathy Markle, IN
    Simple and toxic free. make a baking soda Paste and scrub. if needs more boost, spray the area with vinegar/water mixture first then scrub down with a paste. Worked really well for me..:)
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Thank you so much Kathy. I will definitely tack this project tomorrow.
  • Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Kathy is right. I use baking soda and peroxide and make a paste. If it doesn't take all of it off you can use a whitening tooth paste to get the rest of it off. That being said since it is heat related due to the bulb it might be harder to get off. Let
  • Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Sherrie - I will definitely let you know what I use and what works. Thanks a bunch!
  • Likes

Shelly Oertli Jennifer Laurie DEBBIE ANDERSON Ben