Getting the white back from freezer water/ice cube dispenser area AND refrigerator door handles.

01.10.15
I am looking for a solution to get the yellowing (and brown from where the light switch is) white again. Any solutions
  • Straight Nails Construction
    Robyn, when I wash my clothes, I use the powder Oxyclean in every load. I had a similar problem with staining, and tried using a bleach/water solution that did not work. I figured I would try the powder, and it took the stain right off. I used the mixing
  • Dawn @ Creative Cain Cabin
    I thought when plastic yellowed it had lost it's UV stabilization (breaking down the plastic) I think the only fix is a coat of plastic paint.
  • Robyn Farwell
    Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    I used to buy "Plastic Boosters" that I always used on my clear tupperware containers if someone put spaghetti in there and it stained it. This was a miracle worker but no longer sold in stores.The only place you can purchase it is online, at
  • Straight Nails Construction
    Before putting spaghetti sauce in a plastic container, spray it with cooking spray first. When the leftovers are eaten, the dish should clean right up with no stains.
  • Robyn Farwell
    Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Thanks for the tip Straight Nails!!
  • Kathy
    Kathy Markle, IN
    Simple and toxic free. make a baking soda Paste and scrub. if needs more boost, spray the area with vinegar/water mixture first then scrub down with a paste. Worked really well for me..:)
  • Robyn Farwell
    Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Thank you so much Kathy. I will definitely tack this project tomorrow.
  • Sherrie
    Sherrie Nixa, MO
    Kathy is right. I use baking soda and peroxide and make a paste. If it doesn't take all of it off you can use a whitening tooth paste to get the rest of it off. That being said since it is heat related due to the bulb it might be harder to get off. Let
  • Robyn Farwell
    Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Sherrie - I will definitely let you know what I use and what works. Thanks a bunch!
  • Tim D. (The Retro Den)
    Tim D. (The Retro Den) Virginia Beach, VA
    Remove the door handles and spray with three light coats of Rustoleums 2x. Emphasis on the work light... Three thin coats an hour or so apart are better that One thick coat...Then spray with two coats,of their clear spray... Both dry very quickly. But
    • Robyn Farwell
      Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
      Tim D. (The Retro Den) When you sprayed the door handles, even after drying for 24 hours, they didn't have a "sticky" feeling? That, I don't want to happen.
    • Tim D. (The Retro Den)
      Robyn Farwell Robyn, Here's my post on using this very same Rustoleum paint I used on some 35yo plastic laminate cabinet doors... They were dry to the touch in less than 30
  • Karen
    Karen Fort Wayne, IN
    Robyn: 1/4 cup of baking soda in a glass bowl and squirt hydrogen peroxide until it makes a paste. Rub it on the offending dirt/stain/grease...whatever. You can use your fingers or a small sponge. This also works great if you have grease stains on cookie
  • Straight Nails Construction
    Robyn Farwell.... I used the oxy clean that came in a container that looks like an ice cream carton.
  • Robyn Farwell
    Robyn Farwell West Lebanon, NH
    Kathy, Straight Nails Construction, Sherrie
  • Tim D. (The Retro Den)
    Please let everyone know what worked for you. Even the Rustoleum Appliance spray in the previous post looks like it was the best solution... It a very versatile paint...
  • Jeannie Andrews
    Jeannie Andrews Winlock, WA
    consider yourself "compensated". :)
Robyn Farwell