Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Not all of the vents in my house seem to be working properly, and my thermostat sometimes is set higher, then what the

Home improvement 03.15.13
house temperature reads. Examples: Thermostat gets turned to 68 and 5 hours later, it says it is 63 in here. I can feel heat coming out of some vents, but not others, or else it felels like cooler air coming out. I just had a new circuit board put in three years ago, nothing is obsturcting the vents and I did check to make sure they were all open. Any suggestions? I am tired of freezing in the smaller of two bathrooms, and a couple of other rooms. HELP!!!
15 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • Karen W
    Karen W Murfreesboro, TN
    I sure hope someone posts help on this one, Terri. I have had the same problem for years! Husband even went under the house to check the ventilation system to make sure it wasn't disconnected or stopped up. Nothing wrong there. Yet my son's room is
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Tammy@Deja Vue Designs
    Isn't this the most frustrating problem? I have vents that do this too....It's almost like the vent is just plum full of something...or squished....UGH (eye roll)
  • Bernice H
    Bernice H Yakima, WA
    Me too! And hubs tried checking the ducts under the mhome , cooler air from some and warm from some others.
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    Sounds like we are alll having the same trouble, but no answers yet. @Karen - MaryAnn T took styrofoam boards, cut them up, duct taped material over them for added insulation to a cold room in her house. I think the picture is posted under either my home
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Gas forced air system?

First have you checked your filters lately? dirty filters do not pass as much air. If you have obstructions the air will

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs
    The scope might help...but I change my filters once a month...so I'm pretty sure it's not that. It's like the air just doesn't get to part of my vents.
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    There are many things that can cause the house not to properly heat.

If return ducts are located or supply for that matter were they are exposed to outside air temps, this will prevent the

• Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    KMS & Woodbridge - my heating system seemed to be working fine until 2 or three weeks ago. I switched to 3M filters aroung Dec. 1st, and the filter looks fine. I did notice today that one air return vent in the first floor bedroom was closed though. I
    If you used the new HEPA type 3M filter and things started to go wrong, put the old type back. Remember my airplane comment in prior post. Ideally return air vents should remain open, but that will have no real bearing on the thermostat issues or the
  • Karen M
    Karen M Vero Beach, FL
    I'm EXTREMELY familiar with freezing even when the heat was running. We had an 1898 victorian in MA before moving here in Dec 2009--5600 sq ft house, 5 zone gas forced hot air system. I had your problem in 1 zone, and it was a bad thermostat. We finally
  • Karen W
    Karen W Murfreesboro, TN
    Well, I suspect our problem is our substandard system. The house was built in 2001 and the system is the original one. It went through foreclosure twice before we bought it and sat empty for a long time. The system has NEVER worked properly since we
    Karen, the very first thing you want to do, is to get a home energy audit performed. It is very common for that age home to have a lot of air leakage, very poor insulation and undersized duct systems or incorrectly sized ducts.
  • Kelly S
    Kelly S Bremerton, WA
    We replaced all the windows in our house and it holds the heat a lot longer with fewer cold spots. The contractor that built this house use expando foam around the windows and nailed all the flanges which didn't allow for any settling or
  • Terri J
    Terri J Annapolis, MD
    I found another reason today for the cold - it seems that when my house settled, it caused some off the window frames not to quite fit. If I open the bottom window to get fresh air in, the upper one lowers a little bit too. It looks like it is still in
  • Becky
    Becky Blair, NE
    Oh that's such good news. Time, instead of money, spent is always a good result to a problem.
Terri J

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing