We recently replaced our door trim and baseboards and painted them white. | Hometalk
2K Views
2

We recently replaced our door trim and baseboards and painted them white.

2K Views
2
At the time we had not decided whether to replace the doors or just paint them to match. In order to keep costs down I think I will paint them. So question is: Do I need to prime first or just give them a good wipe down before painting and replacing the hardware?
Thanks
  • Deb L
    Deb L Patterson, MO

I recently read on Pinterest where some lady opted not to prime, nor sand a piece of furniture. She used Valspar Betsy Ross Brown House paint color, so I went to Lowes and purchased a quart and did my mom's bathroom door and trim. It matches her

• HandyANDY - Handyman & All Repairs, LLC

Isn't that a latex paint? The Valspar product is decent but I didn't think it would bond to oil-stained doors without priming first?

• Deb L
    Deb L Patterson, MO

I painted an oil stained door in my mom's bathroom. I did use Valspar, in Betsy Ross Brown and it only took one coat. It may have worked so well, due to the door not having been stained in years. I also painted her metal and wood medicine cabinet.

• Donna G
    Donna G Riverton, WY

Be sure to prime first, since it's in the hall paint them white and it will really brighten the hall up.

• Dans Handyman Services
    Dans Handyman Services East Carbon, UT

if there varnished doors your going to have to sand them and prime with a stain blocking primer like Kilzs

­