We recently replaced our door trim and baseboards and painted them white.

At the time we had not decided whether to replace the doors or just paint them to match. In order to keep costs down I think I will paint them. So question is: Do I need to prime first or just give them a good wipe down before painting and replacing the hardware?

Thanks

• Deb L
    Deb L Patterson, MO
    I recently read on Pinterest where some lady opted not to prime, nor sand a piece of furniture. She used Valspar Betsy Ross Brown House paint color, so I went to Lowes and purchased a quart and did my mom's bathroom door and trim. It matches her espresso
  • HandyANDY Home Renovations All Repairs, LLC
    Isn't that a latex paint? The Valspar product is decent but I didn't think it would bond to oil-stained doors without priming first?
  • Deb L
    Deb L Patterson, MO
    I painted an oil stained door in my mom's bathroom. I did use Valspar, in Betsy Ross Brown and it only took one coat. It may have worked so well, due to the door not having been stained in years. I also painted her metal and wood medicine cabinet. The
  • Donna G
    Donna G Riverton, WY
    Be sure to prime first, since it's in the hall paint them white and it will really brighten the hall up.
  • Dans Handyman Services
    Dans Handyman Services East Carbon, UT
    if there varnished doors your going to have to sand them and prime with a stain blocking primer like Kilzs
Vicki K