Hometalk.com

How To Build An Indoor Seed-Starting Rack - Cheap!

For the last few years, in the late winter months, our dining room table transforms into our seed starting area - or as we like to call it - our mini garden. We actually had it down to a science, using a few inexpensive shop lights to grow our plants healthy and strong. The mini garden set-up unfortunately also rendered the dining area useless for the 6 to 8 weeks it took to germinate and grow all of the ornamental pepper and garden plants we use. Not to mention, some strange looks from company wondering what we were "growing" in there under the dim glow of flourescent lights :).

So, for this week's DIY segment - we thought we would design and build our very own lighted seed-starting rack. The rack will allow us to move the entire seed starting operation out of the dining room - and into an unused portion of our basement. It also allows us to double the seeds and plants we can start indoors in less space - from the 4 flats we could start on the table, to a full 8 flats.

We wanted it to be simple, strong, and of course, as always - cheap!

Using just nine simple 2 x 4 x 8 pieces of lumber, a single sheet of particle board and 4 inexpensive double-bulb shop lights - this

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/01/08/how-to-build-an-indoor-seed-starting-rack-cheap/

13 Comments Displaying 13 of 13 comments
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I can't imagine why you didn't want your dining room to look like that again! As we've come to expect, the detail in your post is terrific.
  • Martina Croatia
    I need this for my plants.
  • Maureen O'Donovan Johnstown, OH
    Looks real sturdy also! I think I will build a couple for our shed outside, and make better use of it .......I need to quit reading this website ......I've got go many projects added to my "list" ....along with my "wishful thinking list" .........I love
  • diy Design Fanatic Charlotte, NC
    We should do this in our walkout basement so we can get an early start for our tomatoes and broccoli.
  • Douglas - It certainly was a conversation piece! And thank you for such a nice compliment!
  • Maureen - It will certainly double as a storage shelf for us in the summer months! .
  • DIY Design Fantastic - It makes a huge difference for us getting our seeds started indoors!
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    you could save some money and time by just hanging some lights on the under side of a shelving unit like this

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-2025...

• Love this!! Will have to check out lumber pile to see if I have enough on Hand.
  • Sondra A Janesville, WI
    Really like this idea as living in Wis. we definitely need to start seeds early. But I could not use this as a summer storage shelf as it would be too full of stuff to go back to being a seed starter. lol.
  • Good idea! Can also be made using 1/2 pallets and 2x4s quick and easy, cheaper!
  • Sara Smith Scotts Valley, CA
    I totally agree with Douglas...I love all of your posts, for a variety of reasons, but mostly because they are topical, real and relevant to my life and how I think of things. Plus, I never feel as though I am being "sold" something, more like we are
  • Marion Tinney Hinsdale, MA
    How can you use your compost in the soil mix during the winter? Ours is under snow here in Massachusetts.