Silver Polish Test: Pinterest Homemade Jewelry Cleaner Recipe vs Wright's Silver Cream

02.14.15
I put a popular homemade jewelry cleaner recipe that I found on PInterest to the test against my old trusty stand-by, Wright's Silver Cream. The homemade recipe called for heated water, baking soda, salt and aluminum foil. The chemical reaction smell gave me a headache all night.

1. Vase 1 is the 'before' image for the group. They all looked like this before the experiment began. Shameful, I know.

2. Vase 2 was left to soak the BOTTOM HALF ONLY in the Homemade Jewelry Cleaner (HJC) for 10 minutes.

3. Vase 3 was cleaned with Wright's Silver Cream 100% and didn't touch the HJC

4. Vase 4 was soaked completely in the HJC for 10 minutes and rinsed with clean water.

5. Vase 5 was soaked completely in the HJC for 10 minutes and then scrubbed with Wright's Silver Cream.

I think you can see a clear winner here. The one that I polished by hand with the Silver Cream is gleaming and beautiful.

It was likely a silver plated piece, but I didn't know that before I gave it a chemical bath. These vases were a memento from my

• We have a winner! Wright's did the job much better than any shortcut ever could.
  • As seen in the photos, the Wright's cream combined with some elbow grease is the clear winner, while the homemade jewelry cleaner left a piece of my silver tarnished forever. (on left)

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2012/04/very-pinteresting-homemade-jewelry/

• Ken C
    I'm going to put in a word for Brite Boy metal polish. My silver went from tarnished to gleaming in almost no time with little or no rubbing. Its non-abrasive and low fume. I'd been using Tarn-X and getting decent but blotchy results. I took a blackened
  • Jackie Golladay
    Jackie Golladay Kennewick, WA
    Toothpaste works.. try it.. I was shocked.. not gel paste..
  • Barbara Valenti
    Barbara Valenti Ponchatoula, LA
    Does anybody still use Tarnex? I know smells awful! When I am desperate I will quickly use it. Then takes hours to remove the odor. I also go over my silver lightly after using the Tarnex as to remove any residue left. Looks great, for awhile.
  • Artsy One
    Artsy One Virginia Beach, VA
    Colgate or Crest white toothpaste works best..if you have real silver! Plus, the sweet smell of peppermint is an extra benefit! ;-)
  • Darlene Craige MacPherson
    I have used "Britz" silver cleaner on both plate & sterling & then rise in a bath of baking soda & then a rinse of just water, buff with a soft cloth- silver plate or sterling will shine & keep shine for a long time as all the "chemical" cleaner is well
Beth at Unskinny Boppy