Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

Silver Polish Test: Pinterest Homemade Jewelry Cleaner Recipe vs Wright's Silver Cream

Awesome Ideas 10.22.14
I put a popular homemade jewelry cleaner recipe that I found on PInterest to the test against my old trusty stand-by, Wright's Silver Cream. The homemade recipe called for heated water, baking soda, salt and aluminum foil. The chemical reaction smell gave me a headache all night.

1. Vase 1 is the 'before' image for the group. They all looked like this before the experiment began. Shameful, I know.

2. Vase 2 was left to soak the BOTTOM HALF ONLY in the Homemade Jewelry Cleaner (HJC) for 10 minutes.

3. Vase 3 was cleaned with Wright's Silver Cream 100% and didn't touch the HJC

4. Vase 4 was soaked completely in the HJC for 10 minutes and rinsed with clean water.

5. Vase 5 was soaked completely in the HJC for 10 minutes and then scrubbed with Wright's Silver Cream.

I think you can see a clear winner here. The one that I polished by hand with the Silver Cream is gleaming and beautiful.

It was likely a silver plated piece, but I didn't know that before I gave it a chemical bath. These vases were a memento from my

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2012/04/very-pinteresting-homemade-jewelry/

11 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 11 of 11 comments
  • Steve G
    Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Good to know. You were brave to take this sacrifice so the rest of us don't have to.
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Deanne L
    Deanne L Australia
    My comment disappeared into cyberspace on your blog.

But I will say that I have used this method for years and never had a problem.

• Jeanette S
    Jeanette S Atlanta, GA
    I don't know what happened to your experiment, but it has worked for me for 60 years!
  • Lorraine F
    Lorraine F Virginia Beach, VA
    I recently tried the alternate method on Thanksgiving morning out of desperation and it worked well. I think the boiling water is important. One of the best uses is the fact that it will get off 90%of the tarnish and then a quick rub of the silver cream
  • Sharon C
    Sharon C Sugar Land, TX
    Your tarnished piece is not silver, it is a plate and should never be cleaned withh anything unless it specifically says it's for plated pieces. You can have it re-plated.
  • Anna Starner
    Anna Starner Lebanon, PA
    I have read that the homemade bs,foil,boiling water ONLY works on sterling not silverplate. Sometimes we don't get all the directions if we use pinterest w/o doing a little more research. I love pinterest and will just investigate before I just try
  • Walter Reeves
    Walter Reeves Decatur, GA
    You'll get MUCH better results using washing soda (sodium carbonate) rather than baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Non-chemists don't realize there is a difference.
  • Sharron W
    Sharron W Memphis, TN
    Amen Walter!
  • Kathleen Nelson
    Kathleen Nelson Groton, MA
    sodium bicarbonate turns into sodium carbonate when heated
  • Ken C
    I'm going to put in a word for Brite Boy metal polish. My silver went from tarnished to gleaming in almost no time with little or no rubbing. Its non-abrasive and low fume. I'd been using Tarn-X and getting decent but blotchy results. I took a blackened
  • Jackie Golladay
    Jackie Golladay Kennewick, WA
    Toothpaste works.. try it.. I was shocked.. not gel paste..
Beth at Unskinny Boppy