10 simple steps to update an outdated brass light fixture.

Updates 11.16.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
If you have ever considered buying a whole new light fixture just because the existing one seems outdated, think again. Step back and examine the curves and lines of the fixture itself, and imagine how that same light might look with a simple coat of spray paint on it. Is it a good candidate for an upcycle?

Check out the before and after of my dining room chandelier. Instead of sticking out like a sore thumb, my light fixture now blends in with the room and looks beautiful. All for the price of a can of spray paint!

Fiddling with electricity can be a scary proposition for some people, but you might be surprised just how simple it is to remove a light fixture and put it back up. I am walking you though the simple 10 step process on the FOLK magazine blog today! Please come take a look and pin it for later if you're interested.

Time: 6 Hours Cost: $7 Difficulty: Moderate
  • How to update a light fixture with spray paint
  • Before- the brass chandelier is the first thing your eye is drawn to in the room. It's way too bright.
  • After- with a simple coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint this beautiful chandelier now compliments the other pieces in the room.

To see more: http://www.folklifestyle.com/2013/01/update-an-outdated-light-fixture-with-spray-paint.html

• Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Great tips, Beth! It looks beautiful.
  • Sue Kopp
    Sue Kopp Pottsville, TX
    Don't you just love the oil rubbed bronze spray!!! I have just finished a light fixture that was uuuuuuuuuuuggggggggllllly. And old. I now have it over my kitchen table.
  • Peggy
    Peggy Punta Gorda, FL
    Looks fantastic!
  • Anita Pollard
    Anita Pollard Grant, AL
    The change is very noticeable. It's like ... WOW. Gonna have to do this with mine.
  • Sue Scimeca
    Sue Scimeca New Lenox, IL
    awesome, great idea! well done
Beth at Unskinny Boppy

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post