Hometalk.com

Barb Plautz 03.28.14

Dishwasher Not Cleaning Properly? 5 Quick Tips to Make it Like New

There's nothing worse than seeing gritty residue at the bottom of your drinking glass.

This is especially true if you have company at your house, it's the holidays, and your wife is the one who spotted the problem. So what's the solution?

Here are a few tips that helped us with our dishwasher's efficiency

+Use a granular dishwasher soap instead of gel

+Clean sprayer arms with picture hanging wire and a white vinegar bath

+Remove grit and reside from fine and coarse filters

+Check underneath the coarse filter for grime

+Eliminate hard water scale buildup with Lemi Shine

You can check out my post for additional tips, pictures, and a few short videos. The videos are less than 4 minutes but they take you

Time: 1 Hour Cost: $20 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.homerepairtutor.com/dishwasher-not-cleaning/

54 Comments Displaying 15 of 54 comments | See Previous
  • a packet of lemon unsweetened Kool Aid works well too.

• Connie East Aurora, NY
    I do this as well works fabulous! You can also use the vinegar and baking soda in your wah machine to freshen it up and clean all the gunk. Sure makes it smell good too. Another trick very cheap and works AWESOME is to use a packet of lemonade, no sugar
  • Barbara C Seattle, WA
    I just moved into a new built apartment complex where we have brand new dishwashers.. and had no idea how to keep this machine working in good order. Thank You for all the great ideas.. Also someone said they couldn't find Lemi-Shine,,,So I googled it
  • Chris T Tonawanda, NY
    I have a Kitchen Aide machine that was purchased about 1990. I have the repair mans label on the inside top of my door. He has been a God send to me. I now know how to really take apart my dishwasher and put it back together again even how to take the
  • Lisa S Oceanside, CA
    How does the Tang or Koolaide work?
  • Laurel Turner Stapleton, NE
    I run pipe cleaners through my spray arms...remove any build up.
  • I put a packet of LemiShine in the dishwasher's soap dispenser and put a cascade Complete packet in the silverware drawer. Your dishwasher doesn't dispense soap until 1/2 way through the wash but doing it this way, the soap is at the beginning. Also
  • Ann D Melbourne, FL
    Uggggh!. I just cleaned out my self-cleaning filter. I cannot even begin to describe the assortment of filth. The dishwasher was installed August 2007 and has not been cleaned till today.
  • Simplify by Sara Yonkers, NY
    I have found that you can use white vinegar instead of a rinse agent .. helps with spot and keeps the interior of the dishwasher clean.
  • Linda Weeks Street, MD
    I tried taking my dishwasher apart, just as I'd seen on an internet video, but once I got down to the filter assembly, my husband talked me out of going further. fine, fine, let's buy a new dishwasher, then. Wish I were as brave as you guys! :-)
  • FCSteach Willow Grove, PA
    We have hard water in the community in which we live. I use vinegar every time I was my dishes. I just pour a little vinegar right into the bottom of the dishwasher in addition to the regulary dishwasher soap.
  • Denise Eagles Joplin, MO
    I use vinegar instead of jet dry... much cheaper and never any spots
  • Samantha United Kingdom
    I also use white vinegar and it works every time.
  • RUTH Leander, TX
    Love all the tips! Thanks ladies!!
  • N Black Glendale, CA
    Lemini Shine is Awesome stuff. My dishwasher looks brand new since I started using it. Dishes finally sparkle again.