Hometalk.com

Backyard Escapes 04.06.14

Homemade Disinfectant Spray Recipe

It's not the most pleasant topic, but germs are pretty common around the house. To prevent illnesses and bacteria from spreading to you and your family, it's important to disinfect liberally. This homemade disinfectant recipe was developed by a food scientist at Virginia Tech to remove salmonella from meat and vegetables, but it also works great for getting rid of cold and flu germs.

Here's the recipe: https://brightnest.com/todos/create-homemade...

12 Comments Displaying 12 of 12 comments
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Good formula. Thank you for sharing.
  • I have been using this technique for several years and it's great!
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Having worked in the Pharmaceutical industry where "sanitation" and "sterilization" issues were of primary concern. Some "home remedies" work better than others. Vinegar is ok...but other commercial formulation can be more effective.
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Very interesting about the use of vinegar AND hydrogen peroxide BrightNest. Thank you. I've not tried using vinegar because I don't care for the smell. If they could only find a way to make it
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    For what it's worth, I also heard today on the America's Test Kitchen podcast (my favorite dinner prep entertainment, and highly recommended for all foodies out there) that they ran tests and found that just hot water and soap killed 99.9 percent of
  • Becky Blair, NE
    Personally I think the use of so many chemicals are why so many suffer from migraines, fibro and other illnesses anymore. I could be wrong, but it just seems possible.
  • Lynne Detroit, MI
    thanks for info, i use a mixture of vinegar and dish liquid for general cleaning, but i will try this. if you really read the labels on a lot of the name brand products you won't want to clean with them. they say bleach is not good to use, but that's all
  • Alisha Torres Hinesville, GA
    Is there anything I can add to make it fragrant? I'm looking for something to disinfect the hard and soft objects around the house (toy bins to sofas). Thanks in advance!!
  • Now this is very interesting!! Making a disinfectant from vegetables to kill germs sounds quite safe to have in the kitchen so that it is away from the use of chemicals. The idea of putting citrus peels in the vinegar to make it smell better when used as