I have stucco on my home and I have a gap where the foundation and the stucco meets.

09.23.11
I have a slab foundation too. Can I use the foam insulation in a can to fill the gap around the bottom of the stucco around my home? I know that this is where some of the bugs are getting in my home. The reason why I know this is my daughter's room has a runner from my bermuda grass coming in her room.
  • HandyANDY Home Renovations All Repairs, LLC
    The foam spray can actually be dangerous to use...if fumes ever build up inside the house while you are using it and you have gas appliances like a furnace or water heater, it can cause a firm. You'd be better to try a product like Quickcrete concrete
  • Hewitt Remodeling Services LLC
    Hewitt Remodeling Service... Virginia Beach, VA
    Gordon,

I am not a stucco expert. I know just enough about it to be dangerous. However, I do know that proper installation of stucco

• Wally Daly ,,Mastercarpenter,artist
    ,,You can create weep holes to this application if necessary,,,,,no do not use SPRAY FOAM,,,,,aggregate with latex bonding ,,,,makes for elasticity such as described above in tube ,,,put (backer rod ),,,its a foam round piece that you packdown in crag
  • Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com
    No do not fill this gap. Reason being you may have what is called a drainage system. This system allows for a space behind the stucco to let any moisture that may occur due to poor sealants and window leaks. If you seal this gap, you will trap water and
    Can you post a pic so we can actually see what you've got? I don't think this has anything at all to do with drainage but let's see it!
  • Gordon F
    Gordon F Mcdonough, GA
    It is just where the stucco and the ground meets. It's the same way where the vinyl siding meets the ground. I know that I have seen birds going up in between my vinyl siding and frame of house to get the insulation to build a nest.
  • DannieBuilds
    DannieBuilds Atlanta, GA
    I would clear away some of the soil but maintain a grade away from the house. Then, put step flashing on a piece of wood or composite and place it at the bottom of the stucco. This will keep the draining in tact and close off the access to critters.
  • Gordon F
    Gordon F Mcdonough, GA
    Dannie, I don't have anything around the bottom part of my home. I have nothing close to the bottom of the stucco. I just have pine straw on the bottom.
    OK, from what I see you have a hard coat stucco system installed. The rust is the metal tracks they use to finish the edges. The reason for the rust is that the stucco is to close to the surface or buried into the soil and is not allowed to dry out.
  • Gordon F
    Gordon F Mcdonough, GA
    Woodbridge, I just found a pic from the Internet. I do not have rust spots on my stucco. I just have issues with rodents and stuff going up the space of the stucco and foundation. It's where the lip of the stucco meets the foundation.
    HI Gordon, why not send a pic of what you have? The first problem for me, is that the stucco is too close to the ground....generally, and I'm sure the others will comment, you want to see 4 to 6 inches clear from the ground...so in my mind, the stucco
  • Bob and RodMan S
    Bob and RodMan S Tucker, GA
    Spot on, Handy Andy! You can't fix it if you can't see it. And equally on target that there is a minimum space required between the grade of the soil and any finish product, stucco, wood or cement board siding. Some concern, too, that there are
  • Seth F
    Seth F Mcdonough, GA
    I would stay away from filling in with foam if you have to fill it in. I would stick with some sort of caulk or concrete. The reason being is termites. There is a reason that foam board backing is not used behind stucco at the grade or below
    At this point all the ideas are great and all apply to different types of stucco systems. Stucco is a generic term used and does not explain at all what type of siding you have.
  • Wally Daly ,,Mastercarpenter,artist
    AS Woodbridge put its...guessing game. Back and forth. With no. Solution and or. foward motions
Gordon F