Hometalk.com

Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home
07.24.14

Has anyone had Home Depot reface their kitchen cabinets?

I've had a quote from Home Depot that seems terribly high - $14,000.00 - workmanship guaranteed for 5 years. I selected cherry wood doors & drawers with an amber glaze. Their price makes me wonder what a whole brand new kitchen would cost. My kitchen is approx. 10ft x 12.5 ft.

My deadline to recind the contract is Tuesday 10/4/11 so please answer/advise asap.

Thanks - Laine

17 Comments Displaying 15 of 17 comments | See Previous
  • Cynthia B
    Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    I investigated this for my kitchen. I found that I could get new cabinets much cheaper. The kitchen designer at Home Depot also pointed this out. But that opened up so many new options, I haven'tdone anything. lol
    This comment has been reported and is under admin review.
    This comment was hidden for violating Hometalk's guidelines.
  • Laine B
    Laine B Venice, FL
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to get another bid or two - perhaps Sears. I can't get new cabinets because we have wonderful granite countertops so we're locked in with refacing. Sorta did this backwards - huh!
  • HandyANDY Home Renovations All Repairs, LLC
    A quality contractor in your market can remove the granite....I'd get some bid from some smaller contractors....Sears wouldn't be in the mix if it were me...not if you're concerned about cost. I just had another client that went the way you did and is
  • Laine B
    Laine B Venice, FL
    HandyAndy - You believe they can remove the granite without breaking it?
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Laine removing an island's granite ...pretty easy. Removing it from regular base cabinets and sink location etc....very risky for breakage. Seams are epoxied...so the unit acts as one giant slab in most cases the epoxy is stronger than the stone...so
  • Marge C
    Marge C North Port, FL
    Had mine done 5 years ago cost 8,000.00 light finish just ok wish I had more to choice from I think we were one of the first to try there program ps mine is just a laminate I would check independents with so many needing work it may just be more
  • Laine B
    Laine B Venice, FL
    KMS - Thank you for the removal description - I thought removal would be risky and impossible. I don't want to take a chance with my beautiful granite. All of my slabs are seamless - only 1 seam in my whole kitchen and that is at the sink. It took 4
  • Laine B
    Laine B Venice, FL
    Thanks Marge - Wish I had some recommendations for independents in this area - I'm sure they would love the work. Maybe I'll look around.
  • Nichter's Home Services Corp
    In my experience, Hone Depot has the highest prices I have seen for cabs. Let them bid five different jobs and it is a waste of time for me. I have other suppliers bidding same exact cabs for less, with better service.
  • Micci S
    Micci S Roswell, GA
    There are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE differences in the quality of refacing products and companies. I know Home Depot can seem high, but I have to defend them here. It can be very confusing trying to figure out the apples and oranges in this case. Let me know if
    Sure they can remove the granite without breaking it....we've done it before....especially if you have the thicker 3cm slabs.....word to wise on granite is to always go thicker unless you're installing on a small bath vanity.
  • Lamont C
    Lamont C Mableton, GA
    thanks ever one!! Now I don't have to sit for 2 hr. just to say no thanks.
  • Malcom gonzalez
    Malcom gonzalez Lilburn, GA
    lol this people are funny. is impossible to compare jobs. u can only conpare what u getting and what's important to u. if I don't have to have inshurence ,background test ,drug test. then yes I'll be cheaper with some one that does not offer that. but if
  • Robert Norman
    OK-Here’s the lowdown on Home Depot cabinet refacing. It’s not cheap as you might think coming from a Big Box store—however: they do a great job. Unlike many companies (and contractors) they keep you in the loop, informed sand updated. They do
  • Ryan Pfister
    Ryan Pfister Logan, UT
    ^^ Robert, I don't mean offense, but are you a robot for home depot? You posted the exact same thing in a different website.

http://postimg.org/image/4ode3x5a5/

Laine B

Join the home and garden knowledge hub. It's free & easy and only takes a second!