Hometalk.com

03.26.13

Has anyone had Home Depot reface their kitchen cabinets?

I've had a quote from Home Depot that seems terribly high - $14,000.00 - workmanship guaranteed for 5 years. I selected cherry wood doors & drawers with an amber glaze. Their price makes me wonder what a whole brand new kitchen would cost. My kitchen is approx. 10ft x 12.5 ft.

My deadline to recind the contract is Tuesday 10/4/11 so please answer/advise asap.

Thanks - Laine

15 Comments Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    It seems up there but this may be inline it the all of the doors and drawers are being replaced. Have you received any competing bids? A solid wood door can run from 100 to 200 each. With similar prices for the drawers. With new doors and drawers the
  • Laine...you have to evaluate the project on total cost...in other words, if you choose to replace the cabinets there will be additional costs such as plumbing and electrical, wall and floor repair and of course the removal of the existing kitchen.
  • Cynthia B Sebastian, FL
    I investigated this for my kitchen. I found that I could get new cabinets much cheaper. The kitchen designer at Home Depot also pointed this out. But that opened up so many new options, I haven'tdone anything. lol
  • Laine B Venice, FL
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to get another bid or two - perhaps Sears. I can't get new cabinets because we have wonderful granite countertops so we're locked in with refacing. Sorta did this backwards - huh!
  • A quality contractor in your market can remove the granite....I'd get some bid from some smaller contractors....Sears wouldn't be in the mix if it were me...not if you're concerned about cost. I just had another client that went the way you did and is
  • Laine B Venice, FL
    HandyAndy - You believe they can remove the granite without breaking it?
  • KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    Laine removing an island's granite ...pretty easy. Removing it from regular base cabinets and sink location etc....very risky for breakage. Seams are epoxied...so the unit acts as one giant slab in most cases the epoxy is stronger than the stone...so
  • Marge C North Port, FL
    Had mine done 5 years ago cost 8,000.00 light finish just ok wish I had more to choice from I think we were one of the first to try there program ps mine is just a laminate I would check independents with so many needing work it may just be more
  • Laine B Venice, FL
    KMS - Thank you for the removal description - I thought removal would be risky and impossible. I don't want to take a chance with my beautiful granite. All of my slabs are seamless - only 1 seam in my whole kitchen and that is at the sink. It took 4
  • Laine B Venice, FL
    Thanks Marge - Wish I had some recommendations for independents in this area - I'm sure they would love the work. Maybe I'll look around.
  • In my experience, Hone Depot has the highest prices I have seen for cabs. Let them bid five different jobs and it is a waste of time for me. I have other suppliers bidding same exact cabs for less, with better service.
  • Micci S Roswell, GA
    There are HUGE, HUGE, HUGE differences in the quality of refacing products and companies. I know Home Depot can seem high, but I have to defend them here. It can be very confusing trying to figure out the apples and oranges in this case. Let me know if
  • Sure they can remove the granite without breaking it....we've done it before....especially if you have the thicker 3cm slabs.....word to wise on granite is to always go thicker unless you're installing on a small bath vanity.
  • Lamont C Mableton, GA
    thanks ever one!! Now I don't have to sit for 2 hr. just to say no thanks.
  • Malcom gonzalez Lilburn, GA
    lol this people are funny. is impossible to compare jobs. u can only conpare what u getting and what's important to u. if I don't have to have inshurence ,background test ,drug test. then yes I'll be cheaper with some one that does not offer that. but if