Hometalk.com

cleaning 03.06.14

DIY Laundry Detergent Recipe -- Really Works!

I made laundry detergent from washing soda, baking soda, Borax, and castile soap. Here's the recipe: Now you need to measure with a tin can (just a regular tin can, like the kind that corn comes in). In a large container with a tight-fitting lid, mix 3 cans of Borax, 3 cans of baking soda, 3 cans of washing soda, and an 8 ounce bottle of castile soap. I found that stirring didn't work very well, so I put the lid on the container and shook it up really well.

I have been really pleased with this detergent. Dissolved in hot water (it is not as good in cold water), it actually removed stains and oils, and it makes the laundry smell really clean and fresh.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.networx.com/article/i-made-my-own-laundry-detergent-and-so

45 Comments Displaying 15 of 45 comments | See Previous
  • Nita O Ridgeley, WV
    i've made this with fels naptha using a third of a bar and it works fine. i've also used it with powdered ivory snow when a store near here had a closeout sale
  • I absolutely love this! Thanks!
  • Chaya K New York, NY
    Laura S I exclusively use cloth napkins and cloth towels -- no paper products in my house. My sister in law is a chemist and told me that bleach breaks down into salt and water -- as heavy
  • Gwendolyn Schilling Philadelphia, PA
    Where do you get the Castile soap ?
  • Laura S Oroville, CA
    Thanks for responding - good to hear another viewpoint on bleach, going to research that! I don't use paper products either - but just wash my dish towels in hot water as a sanitizer... best wishes.... Laura
  • Linda W Cincinnati, OH
    A little late, Nita, but thank you. Since I obviously did not know the difference, where would I find essential oil? Craft store, perhaps? Thanks.
  • Chaya K New York, NY
    Castile soap and essential oils are both health food store items (like Whole Foods); you can get castile soap in other places, like Target. Target sells Dr. Bronners. Gwendolyn @Lindaw
  • Gwendolyn Schilling Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks, I'll go there =)
  • Elaine Y Windham, ME
    I made this over the weekend and I couldn't believe how much it made ... I gave some way and still enough to last me for a year. I was surprise that you only needed 2 Tablespoons per load... it did a great job. I had coupon for Oxy was it only cost me
  • Linda W Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for your help, Chaya!
  • Audrey Slayton, MN
    Easy way to purify your dish towels and wash clothes is simply boil them in a glass bowl in the microwave until they boil for a minute! Easy way to purify dish sponges too! This looks like a good recipe for clothes!
  • Paula Englert Louisville, KY
    Is there anything that gets collars and cuffs of men's shirts really clean? I have tried every commercial pre-wash product there is, as well as OxyClean in the wash and even bleach. Collars and cuffs still look grimy. Help!!
  • Pandora Jade Seymour, IN
    To mix well put in a food processor. Works well and keeps it really clean :)
  • Jenice Tate Jackson, MS
    I have a front load washer (HE). Will these ingredients work for that type of washing machine?
  • Lori J Christiana, TN
    Not trying to step on toes .....

One good thing by Jillee has a trail size. (Which makes up quite a bit)