DIY Laundry Detergent Recipe -- Really Works!

Beautiful Murals 10.24.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
I made laundry detergent from washing soda, baking soda, Borax, and castile soap. Here's the recipe: Now you need to measure with a tin can (just a regular tin can, like the kind that corn comes in). In a large container with a tight-fitting lid, mix 3 cans of Borax, 3 cans of baking soda, 3 cans of washing soda, and an 8 ounce bottle of castile soap. I found that stirring didn't work very well, so I put the lid on the container and shook it up really well.

I have been really pleased with this detergent. Dissolved in hot water (it is not as good in cold water), it actually removed stains and oils, and it makes the laundry smell really clean and fresh.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more:

• Tate6433
    tate6433 Jackson, MS
    I have a front load washer (HE). Will these ingredients work for that type of washing machine?
    • Tntipsy
      Tntipsy Erin, TN
      Jenice Tate Yes, I use it in my front load HE washer and it works great. The best part is there is no residue build up using this recipe. I love it.
  • Lori
    Lori Christiana, TN
    Not trying to step on toes .....

One good thing by Jillee has a trail size. (Which makes up quite a bit)

• Barbara Cox
    Barbara Cox Sugarloaf, PA
    I made a bucket of laundry detergent, and I apparently didn't do it correctly, I have made it several times with no problems, but because I had ground the soap into a powder I put it in the bucket with hot water to disolve then the powered ingred, the
  • Deb
    Deb Bennington, NH
    What size can did you use? It says cans of each. I did the same one here but with fels-naphta soap... might try this one next.
  • Verunchikfit77
    Verunchikfit77 Fresh Meadows, NY
    What do you use in cold water?
Chaya K

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post