Hi There Here's how you can get the most out of your home & garden social network: Go home

DIY Laundry Detergent Recipe -- Really Works!

HOUSEHOLD 01.14.15
I made laundry detergent from washing soda, baking soda, Borax, and castile soap. Here's the recipe: Now you need to measure with a tin can (just a regular tin can, like the kind that corn comes in). In a large container with a tight-fitting lid, mix 3 cans of Borax, 3 cans of baking soda, 3 cans of washing soda, and an 8 ounce bottle of castile soap. I found that stirring didn't work very well, so I put the lid on the container and shook it up really well.

I have been really pleased with this detergent. Dissolved in hot water (it is not as good in cold water), it actually removed stains and oils, and it makes the laundry smell really clean and fresh.

Time: 10 Minutes Cost: $10 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://www.networx.com/article/i-made-my-own-laundry-detergent-and-so

48 Comments | Add a Comment Displaying 17 of 48 comments | See Previous
  • MsMyra M
    MsMyra M Queensbury, NY
    I absolutely love this! Thanks!
  • Chaya K
    Chaya K New York, NY
    Laura S I exclusively use cloth napkins and cloth towels -- no paper products in my house. My sister in law is a chemist and told me that bleach breaks down into salt and water --
  • Gwendolyn Schilling
    Gwendolyn Schilling Philadelphia, PA
    Where do you get the Castile soap ?
  • Laura S
    Laura S Oroville, CA
    Thanks for responding - good to hear another viewpoint on bleach, going to research that! I don't use paper products either - but just wash my dish towels in hot water as a sanitizer... best wishes.... Laura
  • Linda W
    Linda W Cincinnati, OH
    A little late, Nita, but thank you. Since I obviously did not know the difference, where would I find essential oil? Craft store, perhaps? Thanks.
  • Chaya K
    Chaya K New York, NY
    Castile soap and essential oils are both health food store items (like Whole Foods); you can get castile soap in other places, like Target. Target sells Dr. Bronners. Gwendolyn @Lindaw
  • Gwendolyn Schilling
    Gwendolyn Schilling Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks, I'll go there =)
  • Elaine Y
    Elaine Y Windham, ME
    I made this over the weekend and I couldn't believe how much it made ... I gave some way and still enough to last me for a year. I was surprise that you only needed 2 Tablespoons per load... it did a great job. I had coupon for Oxy was it only cost me
  • Linda W
    Linda W Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for your help, Chaya!
  • Audrey
    Audrey Slayton, MN
    Easy way to purify your dish towels and wash clothes is simply boil them in a glass bowl in the microwave until they boil for a minute! Easy way to purify dish sponges too! This looks like a good recipe for clothes!
  • Paula Englert
    Paula Englert Louisville, KY
    Is there anything that gets collars and cuffs of men's shirts really clean? I have tried every commercial pre-wash product there is, as well as OxyClean in the wash and even bleach. Collars and cuffs still look grimy. Help!!
    • Melanie
      Melanie Hollis, NH
      Hi Paula, if you use borax and washing soda together, start washer to fill only about 1/4 of the way up with HOT water (or as hot as is recommended by manufacturer) agitate, then put your shirts in, agitate again for about 5 min, let them sit overnight
  • Pandora Jade
    Pandora Jade Seymour, IN
    To mix well put in a food processor. Works well and keeps it really clean :)
  • Tate6433
    tate6433 Jackson, MS
    I have a front load washer (HE). Will these ingredients work for that type of washing machine?
    • Tntipsy
      Tntipsy Erin, TN
      Jenice Tate Yes, I use it in my front load HE washer and it works great. The best part is there is no residue build up using this recipe. I love it.
  • Lori J
    Lori J Christiana, TN
    Not trying to step on toes .....

One good thing by Jillee has a trail size. (Which makes up quite a bit)

• Barbara Cox
    Barbara Cox Sugarloaf, PA
    I made a bucket of laundry detergent, and I apparently didn't do it correctly, I have made it several times with no problems, but because I had ground the soap into a powder I put it in the bucket with hot water to disolve then the powered ingred, the
Chaya K

Posts You May Like

Continue browsing