Hometalk.com

Awesome Remodels 01.29.14

Herb Gardening for the Home

Last year my daughter bought a house with a small greenhouse attached to it. You have to go through the greenhouse to get to the back door of the house. It's nice - like a sunroom and they have their folding chairs out there on sunny days. Anyway, she had this bright idea to plant the herbs she bought at the grocery store in a hanging shoe bag. She looked at those and also some larger hanging bags for magazines and decided on the larger pockets. She put in small stones and potting soil and planted several different types of herbs. They hang on her house inside the greenhouse year round however, they could be planted outside when the weather warms up a bit. She always has fresh herbs to cook with.

To see more: http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/living-wall-planter-at-greenhouse.html

15 Comments Displaying 15 of 15 comments
  • Miriam I New York, NY
    Nice to know this really works!
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    What a great idea. I love the look of vertical gardens.
  • Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    I have seen this done before. It's a great idea for herbs.
  • Love this !!
  • Sharon Willey Powhattan, KS
    hint for watering....just add an icecube
  • Cheryl NY Morris, NY
    I did this last year with shoe bags and found them to be too small and dry out quickly. The larger compartments should work well - I'll try again this year!
  • Roger Walnutport, PA
    cant wait to try this , use so much oregano in almost everything.
  • Kate F New Britain, CT
    this is an awesome idea and i love Sharon's watering idea - no mess!
  • Diane C Keyport, NJ
    Looks like a great idea...maybe vermiculite added to soil would keep from drying out..
  • What a brite idea, these can go in any sunny location.
  • Diana Wise Indianapolis, IN
    Could also be used for a small flower garden to brighten any area
  • Steve G Fort Collins, CO
    Is it safe to melt ice in herbs and other indoor plants? Is it not too cold for them?
  • Natasha G Fort Atkinson, WI
    I like the idea of using cubes for watering the indoor plants. It is great!
  • Linda B Trumbull, CT
    Thank you, everyone, for commenting. I'll take better pictures in the Spring.
  • Linda B Trumbull, CT
    I'm sure it would be okay to put ice cubes in each pocket. That greenhouse gets really hot in the summer, though.