How To Build The Ultimate Tomato Cage For Under $2....The Stake-A-Cage!

Garden Stakes 06.28.15
You may chuckle at the name - but "Stake-A-Cage" really is the best way to describe the trellis system we came up with a few years ago to effectively and inexpensively tie up our tomatoes and peppers. We get a lot of questions about it on the blog - so we thought today we would explain it in detail, along with details at the end of the post on how to make your own.

A few years back, with the garden planted, and about 45 tomato plants growing quicker than we imagined - we knew we needed to give them support and fast! After suffering sticker shock at the prices of tomato cages and stakes in the store, we decided to see what we could come up with ourselves.

We had some left-over welded wire fencing from building the outdoor run for the chicken coop, along with wooden stakes we had used to stake out the area where the coop and barn would go. So - in desperate need to tie up some tomato plants that were falling over - we used wire cutters to quickly cut the fencing into small grid panels. Next, we attached them to the wooden stakes with fencing nails we had on hand - and the Stake-A-Cage was born.

• The Stake A Cage keeping our tomatoes and peppers neat and tidy late into the year
  • The Stake A Cage in use early in the year.
  • A simple wire weld galvanized rectangle attached to a sturdy stake
  • We made smaller ones to hold up our peppers like these hot bananas
  • Mid season - the tomatoes filling out the grid
  • The cages holding our Roma Tomatoes nicely

To see more: http://oldworldgardenfarms.com/2013/01/15/how-to-build-the-ultimate-tomato-cage-for-under-2-the-stake-a-cage/

• Pineapplewomen
    Use 4x8 concrete panel with rebar sticks for support.
  • Christine Calothi
    christine Calothi South Africa
    my ox heart were amazing this year -- Christine in Cape Town
  • Christine Calothi
    christine Calothi South Africa
    my Ox Heart Tomatoes were great this year

Cape Town

• Lori
    Lori Gramercy, LA
    Thanks for this info. I just finished planting my first vegetable garden using pallets and put an underlayment that was once used under our now defunct above ground pool. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t space them far enough apart. Do you think this
  • Jeff
    Jeff Ann Arbor, MI
    WOW, somebody has some nice property.....
Old World Garden Farms