Hometalk.com

Decor Ideas 4 days ago

Easy lampshade makeover with a thrift store sweater!

Since it's been on my mind to create a cozy cable knit sweater lampshade I headed to the Thrift Store and found this pretty winter white sweater that I knew was perfect for my shade. It's not cable knit, but the poms caught my eye. And it was only $2.99. Score.

To turn it into a lampshade, I pulled the sweater down over the top of the shade in the same fashion as putting a pillow case over an overstuffed pillow. It was tight, but tight is good in this scenario. The sweater was a ladies size small, but it had enough stretch in it to fit snugly around the shade when I pulled it down around it. I pulled the waistline of the sweater right down to the bottom edge of the shade so it was even all around, then trimmed off the excess material at the top, leaving about 1" all around. Then I secured the sweater around the top edge of the shade with a few dots of hot glue. It's so tight around the shade that I didn't even bother gluing around the bottom. Be sure to visit my #Bestof2013 blog post here to see more like this! http://unskinnyboppy.com/2013/12/my-2013-pro...

Time: 20 Minutes Cost: $2.99 Difficulty: Easy

To see more: http://unskinnyboppy.com/2013/01/diy-sweater-lampshade-tutorial-vote-for-me/#comment-5183

149 Comments Displaying 15 of 149 comments | See Previous
  • Audrey Slayton, MN
    Looks very warm and appropriate for this time of year, here in SW MN, it is -22 tonight, so right on!!
    • Audrey I totally understand everything is shut down here and -30 for tonight. Fingers crossed we have power( hope I haven't jinxed myself) but stay warm and we are definately staying of the roads. its about 70 days till Spring :)
  • Tina Rivas Schertz, TX
    Awesome. I don't know why, but when I first saw it for whatever reason, it just reminded me of the old Hollywood era of home decor. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
  • Jewell Knoxville, TN
    I am impressed -- and I love it too!
  • I have always wanted to try this. Its super easy(well you make it look that way) but I have to give it a go. Thanks for posting
  • Kaye Arnold Proctorville, OH
    Now that is really different! Great idea!! Looks very easy and best part -- the cost!!
  • Kimberly Bean Auburn, WA
    So very cute!
  • LOVE THIS, GREAT JOB !!!!
  • ROSALIE C Canton, OH
    This is beautiful...Does the heat from light bulb affect the fabric?
  • Lynn Robinson Union City, PA
    What a great idea going to try this !
  • Cathy Rosario Corbett, OR
    This would be a even better idea with making seasonal shades. I can just see a Christmas sweater on one. What a great idea!
  • Patsy Destrehan, LA
    Wow, this is gorgeous and so easy. Thank you so much for being so talented and sharing your talent with us.
  • Nancy Metairie, LA
    I'm in love with this idea!!!! Now I just want to go out and find 2 sweaters with these sweet little pom-poms to make for our lamps on my nightstands. You are brilliant!!! :)
  • Sandi Nelson Muscle Shoals, AL
    Love this idea! Plan to try it soon for my granddaughter's room!!
  • Nancy Metairie, LA
    Beth, and I've got to ask.... what is the name of that beautiful paint color you have on your Sunroom Walls??? It's the exact shade of light blue/grey that I'm looking for but can't seem to get it right. :)