Cedar Lumber for Raised Bed Gardens

Building Things 08.15.15

New Feature

Now you can ask questions on every Hometalk post to get more insight and information about your favorite projects!
The preferred lumber in the Atlanta area for raised bed gardens is Western Red Cedar. Western Red Cedar is a beautiful and functional wood for indoor and outdoor use. It is very popular for outdoor structures and furniture, it is naturally resistant to insects and decay.
  • Western Red Cedar is available in many widths and thicknesses.
  • Winter and early spring are great times for raised bed preparation.
  • Flowers and ornaments add color and interest.
  • Raised beds can yield large harvests for the space used. Adding compost and organic fertilizers and using intensive gardening techniques make vegetable gardening a fun and productive hobby.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Great-looking beds, and some great pointers, too.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Those look great!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I have also built some raised beds for a client or two using Synthetic Decking...it does not leach chemicals and is also rot resistant. It needs to be configured a bit differently due to its "less stiff" nature but for smaller beds it works great.
  • Flowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
    I have been thinking more and more about the synthetic wood. Would it hold up in a retaining wall about 3 1/2 ft high?
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I would not use them for a retaining wall...those need to be super beefy

I have been using 6 x 6 pressure treated timbers

Reid A

Search Feedback

{% slideIn.title() %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().cover_photo.alt %} {% slideIn.slide_post().media_count %}

{% slideIn.slide_post().summary %}

View Post