Cedar Lumber for Raised Bed Gardens

Raised beds 07.05.13
The preferred lumber in the Atlanta area for raised bed gardens is Western Red Cedar. Western Red Cedar is a beautiful and functional wood for indoor and outdoor use. It is very popular for outdoor structures and furniture, it is naturally resistant to insects and decay.
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)
    Reid A , great job on the raised beds. Did build those yourself? If you did can you let us know about how you did it, how much it cost and how much time it took?
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Great-looking beds, and some great pointers, too.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Those look great!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I have also built some raised beds for a client or two using Synthetic Decking...it does not leach chemicals and is also rot resistant. It needs to be configured a bit differently due to its "less stiff" nature but for smaller beds it works great.
  • Flowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
    I have been thinking more and more about the synthetic wood. Would it hold up in a retaining wall about 3 1/2 ft high?
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I would not use them for a retaining wall...those need to be super beefy

I have been using 6 x 6 pressure treated timbers

Reid A