Cedar Lumber for Raised Bed Gardens

Raised beds 07.05.13
The preferred lumber in the Atlanta area for raised bed gardens is Western Red Cedar. Western Red Cedar is a beautiful and functional wood for indoor and outdoor use. It is very popular for outdoor structures and furniture, it is naturally resistant to insects and decay.
  • Western Red Cedar is available in many widths and thicknesses.
  • Winter and early spring are great times for raised bed preparation.
  • Flowers and ornaments add color and interest.
  • Raised beds can yield large harvests for the space used. Adding compost and organic fertilizers and using intensive gardening techniques make vegetable gardening a fun and productive hobby.
    Douglas Hunt New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Great-looking beds, and some great pointers, too.
  • Miriam I
    Miriam I New York, NY
    Those look great!
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I have also built some raised beds for a client or two using Synthetic Decking...it does not leach chemicals and is also rot resistant. It needs to be configured a bit differently due to its "less stiff" nature but for smaller beds it works great.
  • Flowerscapes Garden Design & Landscaping
    I have been thinking more and more about the synthetic wood. Would it hold up in a retaining wall about 3 1/2 ft high?
  • KMS Woodworks
    KMS Woodworks Nederland, CO
    I would not use them for a retaining wall...those need to be super beefy

I have been using 6 x 6 pressure treated timbers

Reid A