Hometalk.com

03.20.14

DOLL HOUSE CREATED FROM CHEST OF DRAWERS

Almost 40 years ago we converted a discarded chest of drawers into this doll house for our daughter. It remains in our home for grandchildren to enjoy. I saw this idea in a magazine about the time a neighbor placed an old chest on the street for garbage collection. The one drawer that still existed was retained at the bottom for storage of extra furniture. Some of the furniture in these photographs was mine (1940's). Other pieces were added in the 1970's for our daughter and some later than that. The drawer keeps the assortment available for redecorating. During its early years, Santa with his sleigh and raindeers sat near the chimney at Christmas.

PHOTOGRAPHS SHOULD EXPLAIN THE RESULTS:

The top of the chest is an attic room. The front side of the roof is built in two pieces and hinged so that the lower portion can be lifted. It is held in place with an attached wooden prop (see photo). The roof is made with latticed wood strips, the chimney is painted with a brick design and trees and flowers are painted on the outside walls. For the floors we used carpet scraps for the bedrooms and the bathroom and a Formica scrap for the kitchen. My husband cut tiny pieces of wood and created a parquet floor for the living room. There are

22 Comments Displaying 15 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • Joyce A Morrisville, NC
    As a miniaturist I love this idea!!
  • Pat M Alexandria, OH
    I think this is such a great idea may make one
  • Bernie Athens, WI
    Amazing, will be looking for an old chest of drawers. What a wonderful ere loom.

• Tami @ Curb Alert! Houston, TX
    I love this! Great idea!
  • Smart Girl Voorhees, NJ
    This is great!
  • June A Clay City, KY
    Clever, clever, CLEVER!!
  • this is a great idea..thanks for sharing it!!
  • Bernice H Yakima, WA
    What a wonderful expression of love and caring! A true treasure! I absolutely love it , wish I had had something like it when I was a kid, or had it for my kids. Thank you so much for posting! I enjoyed exploring in it!
  • Evelyn McMullen Montgomery, AL
    Love this! Husband built the dollhouses, I decorated from summer thru Xmas Eve (5 of them), made much of the furniture from balsa. Grkids all grown up now, I guess the houses are in storage.
  • Linda H Washington, IA
    NOW I see this!!! but I still love it!!
  • Very creative! Wish I thought of that 25 years ago for my girls!!
  • Fantastic idea so charming and cute. I always wanted one when I was a kid. Great job.
  • Marlene Wilson Saint Marys, WV
    I have got alot of doll furnture.the kids all play with it even the boys.
  • Linda Mayfield, KY
    i love it
  • NeedfulNostalgia Stockton, CA
    This is got to be one of the coolest diy/repurposing projects ever! My grandfather made the most beautiful doll house from scratch for me when I was about 8 years old, but even he would have loved this hack. Thumbs up!