DOLL HOUSE CREATED FROM CHEST OF DRAWERS

04.09.16
Almost 40 years ago we converted a discarded chest of drawers into this doll house for our daughter. It remains in our home for grandchildren to enjoy. I saw this idea in a magazine about the time a neighbor placed an old chest on the street for garbage collection. The one drawer that still existed was retained at the bottom for storage of extra furniture. Some of the furniture in these photographs was mine (1940's). Other pieces were added in the 1970's for our daughter and some later than that. The drawer keeps the assortment available for redecorating. During its early years, Santa with his sleigh and raindeers sat near the chimney at Christmas.

PHOTOGRAPHS SHOULD EXPLAIN THE RESULTS:

The top of the chest is an attic room. The front side of the roof is built in two pieces and hinged so that the lower portion can be lifted. It is held in place with an attached wooden prop (see photo). The roof is made with latticed wood strips, the chimney is painted with a brick design and trees and flowers are painted on the outside walls. For the floors we used carpet scraps for the bedrooms and the bathroom and a Formica scrap for the kitchen. My husband cut tiny pieces of wood and created a parquet floor for the living room. There are

Do you have a question about this post?

Ask Here!

• Bbeckley53
    Great work

Wonderful use of (up cycling)

• Holly Stoepker
    Holly Stoepker Palm Bay, FL
    This is, hands down, the most adorable, ingenious dollhouse I have ever seen! I have my dollhouse furniture from the 60's and have been looking for an old dollhouse to display it in. This is perfect and I just saw an old dresser at a thrift store, today!
  • Celeste W
    Celeste W Lawrenceville, GA
    Yes, definitely be sure to hinge the roof at the top so it can flip back when in use! Everything else....design your own as we did on a Christmas 40 plus years ago! Our daughter, for whom it was built, teaches at Va Tech and has three sons! Her brothers
  • Phil
    Phil Ormond Beach, FL
    this is very impressive. I love it
  • Nblunt
    I have been thinking about this project a lot. Possible changes I might make the roof hinge at the peek so it can be folded over, less likely to fall down. Moving the fireplace to the side. And maybe a pool and yard play area painted on a board that
  • Sandy cakes
    Sandy cakes New Braunfels, TX
    love this you can this for both boy or girls
  • Nblunt
    What a great idea and on wheels!
  • Ruth Hise-Thornhill
    Ruth Hise-Thornhill Lawrenceburg, IN
    Very cute!
  • Alma Molina
    Alma Molina Laredo, TX
    I absolutely love it!!!!
  • Joann Jarvis
    Joann Jarvis Chula Vista, CA
    Fantastic, what a good idea and job
  • Terry
    Terry Cortland, OH
    You never know, but no matter what the beautiful gift will be there for the coming children.
  • Celeste W
    Celeste W Lawrenceville, GA
    Thanks @Starr Durrant ! It is still in our house and is enjoyed by our grandchildren. The daughter for whom it was created has two young boys who enjoy it as well. After 55 years of marriage we still have young grandchildren....guess we won't live long
  • Starr Durrant
    This looks fantastic!!!!
  • NeedfulNostalgia
    NeedfulNostalgia Stockton, CA
    This is got to be one of the coolest diy/repurposing projects ever! My grandfather made the most beautiful doll house from scratch for me when I was about 8 years old, but even he would have loved this hack. Thumbs up!
  • Linda
    Linda Mayfield, KY
    i love it
Celeste W