Hometalk.com

22 Comments Displaying 15 of 22 comments | See Previous
  • JANIS S Hugo, MN
    I have dark cabiinets too I want to paint them white, what paint did you use? @how many coats?
  • Diane H Lansdale, PA
    Hi Janis - I wrote a full tutorial about it on my blog if you want to know the full process of how I went about painting them. I used Glidden Gripper primer and Sherwin Williams semi-gloss latex paint in Antique White. 2 coats of each. You can find the
  • Phyllis W Saint Pauls, NC
    I just found this blog - great job. Such a difference. I really like the light/bright look without the hospital white. Thank you for sharing.
  • Diane H Lansdale, PA
    Thanks Phyllis - It was one of the best decorating decisions I ever made. It was a big undertaking, but worth all the time and effort.
  • Sara Waynesboro, PA
    I want this
  • Diane H Lansdale, PA
    HI Sara - It took me a few years of living with oak cabinets that I didn't like to get the energy to paint them. It took me 3 weeks to paint everything, but the time involved was so worth it. If you are thinking of painting your cabinets - go for it!
  • Joyce Orlando, FL
    Thanks Diane, I would like to redo my kitchen cabinets after I return from vacation. Thanks for the info about the framing of the cabinets & the gripper base for the paint. Wish me luck!
  • Diane H Lansdale, PA
    Hi Joyce - It is not hard, just time consuming. Just take your time, use the best brush and a small foam roller with the rounded end and you will get pro results. Glidden Gripper and Sherwin Williams Pro Classic latex acrylic is a winning combo.
  • Wanda sinnema Seattle, WA
    we need a major redo, 1949 house , 1964 kitchen.. love the redo and lots of ideas on HOMETALK..
  • Barbara R Houghton Lake, MI
    The cabinets look cream colored, not white, in definite contrast to your white appliances. Just sayin'.
  • Janet Smith College Station, TX
    What a charming and cozy kitchen! Great make over!
  • Karen Rossman Clark Brookings, OR
    Inspirational as I have similar layout and planning a complete re-do including a window seat like you have. Thinking of making an island instead of L shaped counter that cuts the room into. How wide is your kitchen, Diane H?
  • Diane H Lansdale, PA
    @Karen Rossman Clark - My kitchen is 13' wide and 20' long. The island is 26" x 62"
  • Karen Rossman Clark Brookings, OR
    Whahoo! Mine is 22 long and 14 wide! The layout is almost exactly what you have. I am cutting a piece of 26" x 62" butcher paper or tape the space off and put it in place to see how I can move around it. I am so dern visual that I have to almost chew up
  • Shirley Burnette Brooksville, FL
    Great job. I love it.