I bought this thrift store mirror many months ago because I loved the frame. I knew a little paint is all it needed to make it beautiful but still it hung on the wall in the garage for what seemed like FOREVER. That seems to be the case for most of the items I bring home. But lately I've been inspired to give a lot of my thrift store purchases the makeovers they've been waiting for. I'm thrilled to say that I've completed one more project!
I'm still in the very long and ever changing process of setting up and decorating my office/sewing room, which used to be the dining room. Once I realized that I don't need another mirror in my house (and the mirror in the frame was in pretty bad condition with lots of dark spots), I decided this mirror should become a framed thread holder.
We bought all new pegboard for the garage and I was able to salvage some pieces of the really old pegboard that came with the house to use for this project. My husband traced the mirror and then cut the peg board with a jigsaw.
This peg board had really small holes and some filled with decades old paint, so my husband used a 1/4" drill bit to make the holes large enough to accommodate my 1/4" dowels which I had bought based on the size of the holes in the new pegboard.
I cut some wood dowels down to about 3 inches long using the miter box and hand saw. I made them just long enough to accommodate sitting in the hole and holding my tallest spool of thread. They are a tight squeeze to get them in the holes but that keeps them from falling out once it's hung on the wall.
I used Valspar spray paint to paint the dowels white and to give the old peg board a freshening up.
I used E6000 glue to attach the peg board to the back of the frame because all the plastic tabs broke off when I was trying to remove the mirror.
I set the frame face down on some paint cans before gluing because I had already put the dowels in and didn't want to wiggle them all out. I put the E6000 all around the outside edge of the pegboard and really gooped it on around the plastic tabs. I used more paint cans to weigh the whole thing down and compress the pegboard and frame together while the glue dried. I let it dry overnight.
I spray painted the plastic mirror frame using the same pink that I used on other projects for my office/sewing room.
I still have plenty of open spaces to add more dowels and more thread.
To see more of my thrift store makeovers, stop by Our Secondhand House.